The Aaargh Moment

DD_Brando

This one needs an honourable mention in the telephone-tech-support Hall of Infamy :angry:

So I field a call today, Sunday(!), and it's a mate whose computer is playing up. Can I help him out? What can I say? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I'm just rubbish at snappy comebacks. That special moment; when the lizard brain is shrieking - 'get under a rock. Quick!​' ; my in-grained schoolboy politeness totally prevents me from saying 'I'm so sorry, I'm just getting a taxi to the station - we're going sailing for a week in Scotland' and leaves me blurting the fatal "oh, sure, I'll help you out" :mellow:

I suppose that really was the instant referred to in the title, but for an even worse example read on... :o

My mate is an okay guy, alright? He's forty-something, single, and quite intelligent. He read Economics at a well-known University; red-brick but with an excellent reputation; and took away an Honours degree in Economics which led eventually to a post in the flavour of the day Australian government. At some point he also sat a Master's degree in basic and bullshit and it has never gone away.

To be continued... -_-

Yeah, sorry for breaking off. Here we go again....

So my friend who has maybe 15 years experience of screwing up computers is wanting me to help him. First and foremost, I say, let's get into the BIOS and see what gives... Fire it up and hit Del when it beeps" So off we go but with no joy. No BIOS menu, just straight on into pre-post warning screens. <_<

Is it a USB keyboard? Check. Is it plugged in ;) ? Of course - client is getting a bit shirty now. OK, repeat and rinse - hitting Del repeatedly when it POSTs, no joy :(

After a little more of this I decide to get him to reset CMOS in case the BIOS is corrupted. Switch off; Jumper shifted; battery out. Wait for it...reverse....hit Del etc.

Nada, nix, nuffink. Just warnings. So, just as we're going in for the umpteenth time, he says (or rather mumbles) there's a "spare wire" coming out of the keyboard. A spare wire? What sort of spare wire? "A white one with a purple plug on it."

:blink: Oh, like a PS2 connector? I ask gently. Yes comes the reply, the keyboard isn't plugged in after all......

Can I just go "Aaaaaarrrgh!" now?

• 1. DDz Quorum

LOL! Thats about as a crazy as a ...one............armed........................brick.....................................layer...............................err....... :notworthy::blush::(

Salute!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Nice Kitty,

We foster for the Cats Protection.

We have 3 of our own and are currently looking after 1 other and a mum cat + 5 kittens who are now 1 week old. The mum came in pregnant and they were born at our house.

We have another owner, er, cat. His monkey-name is Wilber, but his identity is really PC Stripe, Claw of the Law, Keeper of the path, the garden, the sofa; terror of the rodentii, squirrel-taker extraordinaire.

post-419-0-97605900-1333406491_thumb.png AKA post-419-0-15103700-1333407045_thumb.png

We came under their control just over five years ago :blink::wub:

:D

• 2 weeks later...