Dcs: A10C - Maverick Tutorial Mission

DD_Fenrir

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hello Chaps!

Sign up here for those interested in an online instruction evening, Maverick orientated, with yours truly hosting and instructing. Mission date to be decided depending on your availability. Flying will be on version 1.1.1.1.

We'll be setting up the aircraft to launch and prosecuting targets (that sounds so cool, doesn't it?) with the AGM-65 in both it's Infra-Red Guided 'D' and Optically Guided 'H' variants.

This will include basics in

1) using the Targeting Pod (TGP) in air-to-ground mode,

2) the setting up of Sensor Point of Interest (SPI)

3) use of the Digital Stores Management System (DSMS)

4) firing a $50,000 bundle of shaped-charge warhead stuck to a big ass rocket at some Russkis in an amoured tin can.

You can do some things to help make sure the evening goes smoothly; most importantly make sure you are fully familar with where the following HOTAS controls are mapped, if they are not set as default:

- TMS Hat *

- Slew Hat

- China Hat

- Coolie Hat

* If you are using default keyboard commands you may wish to remap this one; it is currently set as Left Ctrl+Cursor keys which is bloody difficult to do whilst trying to fly the plane as it requires both hands to function. I've remapped to Right Ctrl+Cursors, as it's far easier.

Also advise you look through this thread here: http://dangerdogz.com/forums/topic/9328-the-gen/

It has a few links to some very handy tutorials that will help prepare you for the coming mission as well as tips on using other weapons.

Looking forward to assisting you chaps blowing the living sh*t outta stuff!

• 1. DDz Quorum

Glad to capture two such enterprising individuals so early in the net! Tho, Jedi, not sure you need the instruction....

Nick, we shall indeed be taking off, but I'll cover the necessary steps and techniques needed as part of the training, and if all else fails then 'Right Win + Home' will automatically run through the startup sequence - tho it does take a little longer as the computer does it absolutely by the book. Jedi taught me how to get the Hog up and running in almost half the time. Once you've done it a few times and have a vague grasp on why stuff has to start in a certain order it all becomes quite methodical and nearly easy.. ish.

Ok Crash, good luck with the download. Incidentally what stick and/or throttle do you have?

Are we all available Bank Holiday Monday, PM, afternoon or eve?

Hi Fen, I have a M$ FFB stick, heavily modded X52 stick/throttle plus Saitek rudder-pedals I also bought the Thrustmaster MFDs off Brando (yet to be plugged in) Should be OK for Monday PM or evening :)

• 1. DDz Quorum

Wow, buttons galore there Dave!

I recommend you set yourself up with the Slew command easiest to hand, then TMS, then Coolie, then China and Trim if you have the buttons. Then find a way to label the lot!

The curve is long but doesn't have to be steep - I picked it up quick enough. Just practise mateys.

Any further go's/no-go's on Monday afternoon or evening?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ok, chaps, server will be online from 1200GMT tomorrow, look for. 'Dogz n' Hogz' in your multiplayer server list. I'll be on comms in the DCS: A-10C channel from that time.

If you obtained the game through Steam you'll need to setup your online user account with ED to actually login to their multiplayer lobby. Also, note that Steam does not have the latest version of the game. The latest version of A-10C is 1.1.1.1 - Steam are only at 1.1.0.9. You'll need the latest full version from ED's website - you can still activate it with your Steam activation key.

Check your Axis control setup in your Options>Controls menu so that you have no duplication across multiple axis controllers - e.g. ensure your throttle controller is controlling your engines and not the pitch and roll of your A-10!

I'll be happy to talk you through any setup issues before we start training proper.

Look forward to flying with you tomorrow! Nice way to see in the New Year!

I am getting there :) I am going through the training missions (only done 1 so far)

PS the auto pilot doesnt seem to work :huh: I flew the second mission. The "instructor" said I have put the autopilot on then I got a message "autopilot dis-engaged" I pressed A to re engage it but nothing happened :o I will get the ex-Brando MFDs up and running this week, so by next weekend I should be slightly familiar with what I am supposed to be doing ;)

if u move the stick, AP automatically disengage. to engage it again u have to put the plane in steady level flight to the waypoint and then press A.

not sure if that's the right way but it works for me.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hell, come on in sever anyway Dave, I'll talk you through anything you wanna know - the 'Official' training vids ain't bad, but they do have bugs - that lovely autopilot not working thing being one - plus they shove a load of acronymic gobbledegook at you that'll take you a month to get around. Come on the server I'll get you airbourne and selecting sh1t to blow up in no time.

Sorry to hear that mate. Ah well. There'll be other times.

I hope so :) I am going to be putting the MFDs I bought off Brando on a shelf under my monitor tomorrow and will make sure that the hat switches (and the mini joystick set as bands) all work. I found this guide which I will use to test my set up. I can see why the A10C guys like the Thrustmaster stuff as its mapped automatically by the game.