Operation Manna

FoolTrottel

Wow, never realised it was like that FT. Looks like the Lancs bomb bays have been stuffed with loaves of bread?

A friend of mine's Dad is Dutch. He was fifteen and an orphan in 1945 and can still recall the relief and wonder at food from the sky. Immediately after the liberation, as an orphan he was evacuated to the UK, by the Red Cross I think, as a temporary measure whilst Holland got itself sorted out but ended up staying.

Of course if that ass Montgomery had secured the whole of the Sheldt estuary in the winter of '44 when the kruats were in full flight eastwards there would have been no need for operation Manna and the war in the west really would have been over earlier. :(

My parents both remember that winter/spring very well. My dad was near Leuwaarden, and so they did not have as much problems with the 'moffen' as in the south, but the 'hunger' winter was bad for all of Holland.

My mom remembers being so afraid of the bombers, as the Germans had bombed the rail line across the street from her house in 1940, and hit a house just 5 down the street from hers, killing the whole family, and several neighbors. Then, in 1944, the Allies came and hit the same train line a few times as well, adding to her fear.

The resistance wa provided with notice that the "Manna" drops were coming, but no one entirely believed such things until they came, so when she saw bombers (she was only 5), all she knew was that someone was going to die. What a surprise when the food bundles came out instead! The planes flew low, so as to aid precision, and avoid damaging things, and many of the crew waved like crazy to the Nederlanders, who were extatic!

My father remembers it this way as well, but he was not as worried about the planes, as the Germans didn't do much damage in the north in 1940. There was much excitement at the time that the Germans were finally through.

When the Canadians came to liberate, there was such a outpouring of thanks, that neither the Canadians or the Dutch have ever forgotten. Ottawa just celebrated their annual Tulip festival, where the Dutch government annually thanks the Canadian city for hosting the royal family when the queen was about to give birth to her child, and they always sent 1000's of tulip bulbs over in gratitude.

As a former Canadian solder, and a son of Dutch immigrants, there is no way that I can go to Holland and pay for a round of drinks. When we went in 1996 on a battlefield tour, we were all in uniform with our South Alberta Regiment veterans, and there was no way that we were going to pay for hotels or dinners. The dutch wouldn't hear of it! We also were able to meet with Prince Bernard, who hosted us all for a regimental dinner one night - what a down to earth man! He was a most excellent host.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me of this, FT - it brings up many good emotions, as well as rememberance of those who perished in that horrible winter.