Ducktape Fixes Allllll

Smash

One night on a snowy cargo ramp in Pittsburg, Pa the First Officer and I were getting ready to haul a DC-3 load of freight for Emery Air Cargo to Cleveland and then to Dayton.We'd had sleet earlier in the day and now it was snowing so I had a layer of ice with snow on top of that on my Gooney Bird. Since our company wouldn't pay to have the plane de-iced it was up to the FO and I to get the snow and ice off our Douglas. So we would climb up on the wing with big shop brooms and sweep the snow off, sometimes sliding off our selves. We would then beat the ice layer with the broom handle cracking the ice off the plane. Then we went down the leading edge with the handle beating the ice off there. The landing lights on the Gooney bird are in the leading edge of each wing about 1/3 span out from the nacelles. You can see the lens forms to the leading edge and is either made of glass or plexiglass. Ours this night were made of glass. While the FO was beating the ice on the leading edge he hit the landing light lens and broke it. The problem now is the air load in flight can push the landing light into the wing and then cause the wing to inflate. Not a good thing. Not having any spare DC-3 landing light lens' in Pittsburg we took duck tape and completely taped over the broken lens. Flew the airplane that night and the company sent us another lens. Another day in Detroit I had a fork lift driver drive into the outer 1/3 of my left aileron smashing it up pretty good. We took a knife and cut off the tattered fabric to the next good aileron rib and then duck taped up what was left of my aileron and flew the Gooney back to South Carolina. If duck tape can't fix it, it can't be fixed.

post-515-0-00322200-1300153658_thumb.jpg