Overclockers.co.uk

B16Enk

• 1. DDz Quorum

More for the UK guys, some of whom I know have used overclockers for PC supplies in the past.

Generally a very good company to deal with, but this recent experience (so far) has me smiling a bit:

Bought an Apad for my eldest, she is 14 today and a FaceBook/Social site addict, picked the Apad because as an Android device it can play Flash unlike the Apple offerings, plus it is significantly cheaper!

When it arrived I snuck it upstairs to set it up for her, plugging in the wireless details etc.

First thing I noticed was it had a 600Mhz CPU instead of the advertised 800Mhz, so right there I decided it was going back..

Thought we'd have to do a 'bait and switch' with Bella though, give her this device on her birthday and swap it for a replacement I had ordered when it arrives.

Bloody touch screen was porked, required imense finger pressure or a stylus to get it to respond.

So I thought I'd calibrate it, using the supplied stylus.

Nope it failed..

So sent this to Overclockers for RMA request:

Ordered Point Of View Mobii 7" Android Tablet -16GBWeb site indicate 800Mhz processor - incorrect it is a 600 Mhz processor so item not as described.

Touch screen also appears to be faulty, when attempting to calibrate 2nd 'target' fails to register stylus 80%+ of calibration attempts (have to cancel calibration)

Item does not respond to 'finger' touch as described in the 'manual'.

They responded:

That seems very odd? is the touch screen all calibrated correctly?

WTF, did they even read my email!!

So sent this back:

In response to James Bailey question:"That seems very odd? is the touch screen all calibrated correctly?"

The issue is top right of screen does not respond 100% to calibration attempts using stylus.

With perseverance have calibrated and touch screen does not respond consistently to finger touch.

This is ignoring that the product is not as described or represented on the web site.

Was sold as an 800Mhz unit, but box indicates it is a 600Mhz unit.

This was purchased as a gift for a teenager and has proved to not be fit for purpose, I have had no alternative but to purchase a replacement locally to avoid disappointment.

Please provide RMA and assurance of full refund including transit costs I have and will incur.

Thanks.

Roger.

Lets see if 'Fit for purpose' and 'represented' rings any bells for them, those two terms themselves are part of our consumer protection laws and should assure me of a full and complete refund including costs.

I could have invoked distance selling rules, which entitles me to change my mind for a refund.

However that would leave me to pick up the original delivery costs, and the cost of returning the item to them.

And waiting up to 30 days for a refund (weird how I have to extend them credit but they do not do the same for customers...)

I've used Overclockers for nearly a decade and must've spent nearly ten grand with them. Rigs for me, my family, close friends, fellow gamers, complete strangers.......... I just found their stock to be of good quality, and their delivery service is very, very prompt.

I nearly never had issues with them, but I got into an almighty row a couple of years back over a malfunctioning motherboard. IIRC it was an Abit with a Uli chipset, designed to run with a 939 cpu, but no matter how I tried I couldn't get it to boot or to load windows or something: so I packed it all up and sent it back after getting an RMA number.

After a fortnight I received a package from OC.UK - containing the same bloody mobo! (I always place a small dot on an RMA'd item using a permanent marker, just for this reason.) I got straight onto the sales crew and asked them what they were playing at? The first reply said they had sent me an identical board as a replacement, end of story. I replied, telling them about the identifying mark and the dated photo I had taken before posting it back, and asking what tests they had made to assure that this mobo was actually good? In the meantime I bench-assembled the board, cpu and memory, etc. just to see if they had cured the fault, but it was DOA.

The next couple of posts revealed what was really going on. I had really pee'd them off by proving that they had lied; that was pretty clear by the tone of their next post. In return I insisted that they comply with their own ToS and send me a working board AND refund the postage costs that their actions had caused me. By this time I had determined that this model of mobo was no longer in stock, so they were stuck. Their next reply was gloves off time. I don't have the original message but it went to the effect that I must have done something to the board and caused the malfunction myself. I shot off an instant retort, based on the fact that they had sent me back the same board, probably untested, with no mention of any damage. I received no response to that message.

In the end I wrote a fairly scathing letter to the CEO, detailing my record of custom and my annoyance at being screwed around over a £65 mobo. I remained polite throughout the whole exchange, but I refused to back down over my rights. The result was prompt and positive. I received an apology and a new DFI mobo within three days of posting my complaint. I wasn't asked for the extra cost of the DFI so I didn't quibble over the postage.

I think that some of their Sales staff are young and inadequately trained. When the firm was starting out the tech support was excellent and the sales-peeps were polite and competent. The quality started to drop as the firm enlarged and had to take on new staff.

I hope they get their act together for you soon. You are obviously using the right pitch, so lets hope your 'key terms' don't fall on deaf ears. If it goes on I think I still have the email address of the CEO somewhere B)

Ross