Model rocket launch

Zeus-cat

Here are a few photos of my recent rocket launch. I used my digital camera in rapid fire mode to get 7 or 8 photos of each launch. I then selected the best photos.

The first launch was to test the rocket. It worked fine, but my parachute was too small and the rocket was damaged slightly. A bit of super glue and she was ready to fly a few minutes later. Here are two photos of the first launch on a pair of Estes B4-4 motors.

Flight_1A.jpg

Flight_1B.jpg

For the second launch I added an altimeter to the payload bay. The specs say it takes 10 samples a second and is accurate to 4 feet at sea level and is good to 15,000 feet.

Altimeter.jpg

The wind died down so I eliminated the angle on the launch pad and launched straight up for the next two flights. The second flight was also on a pair of B4-4 motors. The altimeter popped out of the payload bay somewhere on descent, but was undamaged. The altimeter recorded a max altitude of only 135 feet. Apparently, a pair of B4 engines wasn't going to cut it. I inserted a pair of C6-5 motors and prepared the altimeter. I reinforced the payload bay couplings to make sure the altimeter wouldn't come out.

Both motors lit up and the rocket made a very nice flight. The altimeter recorded an apogee of 397 feet. I later discarded the two highest readings as errors induced by the parachute deployment and determined that the rocket actually reached about 380 feet. You can see some of the data I plotted from the altimeter.

Flight_2A.jpg

Flight_2B.jpg

Flight_2C.jpg

AltimeterData.jpg

• 1. DDz Quorum

Wow, and reading your graph that was some acceleration :)

My eldest brother 'experimented' with rocket fuel he was making in the science lab at school.

For tests it was injected into one those CO2 cartridges (empty of course :)) placed in a tub and then buried in a trench.

A hot wire was used for ignition.

Was a useless rocket fuel but a bloody good explosive, and his experiments could be heard for quite some distance!

• 1. DDz Quorum

a couple of years ago i started building my own water rockets, which i believe are very popular in the schools in the u.s. and has a large internet community on the net. i was never able to build a succesful release mechanism that was water and air tight. some of the real experts can get them real high.