Windows 7 and drivers

Sid

• 1. DDz Quorum

I really like Win 7 and have had very few issues, usually minor things that have been relatively easy to sort.

The most niggly aspect has been the correct installation of programmes and drivers, especially the Creative Audio Extreme soundcard drivers. I have recently found the way that solves most of the installation problems:

1. Download the drivers/programme

2. Create a shortcut for the .exe on the desktop

3. Turn off the Windows User Account utility

4. Turn off antivirus

5. Right click on the shortcut and select compatibility. Set to 'Administrator'.

6. Double click and away it goes.... 

• 1. DDz Quorum
3. Turn off the Windows User Account utility

Useful but not neccessary, I haven't touched UAC on my own system but on the others in the house I did alter it and found no benefit aside from not getting the annoying prompt :)

4. Turn off antivirus

A very good tip! But don't forget to turn it back on ;)

5. Right click on the shortcut and select compatibility. Set to 'Administrator'.

You can do that directly on the downloaded .exe in my experience, with MSI files you can't - but that is because you don't need to as this will run in admin mode automatically.

• 2. Administrators
You can do that directly on the downloaded .exe in my experience

Yep, right-click and select 'run as administrator' does that, but on a one-time only basis. Sid's method 'fixes' that .exe from that point on to always run like that. Handy if you have (usually) old software which gets in the way of Windows 7's security components.