Acronis FTW

DD_Brando

Well, the 160 gig Velociraptor arrived today and took all of 10 minutes to place into the anti-vibration mount in the Hiper case. I do love the ease of SATA cabling and attachment; so much better than those flipping ribbon cables and the multi-pin plugs and the slave/master jumpers on the hard-drives. The new drive was recognised in the BIOS and installed by Windows but didn't show up in My Computer. Time for Acronis to show off its abilities.........

I'm using an old copy of Acronis True Image (version 8 ) which includes the option of adding a new disk to the computer. This option will allow you to create as many partitions as required on your new disk and synchronise your choice into the operating system. You can also pick the file system such as FAT 32 or NTFS or Linux for each partition, specify which should be logical, active or primary, and also name the partitions if required. This makes the loading of different operating systems onto a single hard-drive into a walk in the park. It takes 5 minutes from start to finish, very neat.

In order to do what I wanted I selected cloning. This option allowed me to transfer the contents of one hard-drive to another, including the operating system, and also works as smooth as silk. The adjustment of partition size is built in to the software, enabling the transfer of a small disk onto a larger one easy to facilitate. The GUI is pretty well foolproof too, and easy to understand. Once the desired changes have been selected the PC gets rebooted - and the operation proceeds during the space between BIOS finish and desktop commencement. Again, once I'd made the selections it took five minutes for the process to complete. One more reboot is necessary in order to change the selected boot disk in BIOS.

Once I got back to the desktop I was pleased to see that Windows was totally functional, along with all its peripherals, and located on the new Velociraptor. :) The old disk was completely wiped and ready to be used for whatever purpose I choose - and I have all the required partitions for my game installations on the new one.

Before closing Acronis I decided to carry out one more useful function, and set up the "Acronis Security Zone" on my large storage drive. This is where I will store the back-up images of my crucial data from any drives on the system or the home network. The security zone is undetectable to scans or intrusions, and my 500Gb Caviar shows up as a 400Gb drive once I had allocated 100 gigs for the backup space. Once the main image has been created it can be updated incrementally, and the imaging process can be automated if chosen.

Fantastic! Acronis ftw.

B