Way OT: Any1 know how to redeem gold coins?

Enforcer57

Ok, this is kinda goofy, but ive googled all over the place and all i can find is crap

about redeeming gold motel points etc.

My mother found a couple of one ounce gold pieces her late dad gave her yrs ago.

they are in plastic sleeves, one is a coin, while the other is a rectangle with a British

bank stamp. She went to her bank and a couple of others, but they dont fool with it

anymore apparently. :?:

Anyone have any suggestions as to getting $ money out of these? Im asking because

I will get some benefit outta this, and I hope its more than a buck fifty.

Nobody I know aroundhere has any ideas, and the only othe places i hang out on are

moped and photographer sites, and im not asking any of those gooberheads a damn

thing. I figured some of you guys might have an idea, and Im open to suggestions.

Merci.

Oh, and you guys may be totally apeshit, but It seems some of you actually have

some grey matter in your beanies, unlike most of the "people" on those other sites I

visit.

Ok, this is kinda goofy, but ive googled all over the place and all i can find is crap

about redeeming gold motel points etc.

My mother found a couple of one ounce gold pieces her late dad gave her yrs ago.

they are in plastic sleeves, one is a coin, while the other is a rectangle with a British

bank stamp. She went to her bank and a couple of others, but they dont fool with it

anymore apparently. :?:

Anyone have any suggestions as to getting $ money out of these? Im asking because

I will get some benefit outta this, and I hope its more than a buck fifty.

Nobody I know aroundhere has any ideas, and the only othe places i hang out on are

moped and photographer sites, and im not asking any of those gooberheads a damn

thing. I figured some of you guys might have an idea, and Im open to suggestions.

Merci.

Oh, and you guys may be totally apeshit, but It seems some of you actually have

some grey matter in your beanies, unlike most of the "people" on those other sites I

visit.

I am not an expert, but I would ask around ALOT before you sell them. They could only be worth the gold they contain, but one never knows. Check out a few local coin dealers and try searching the net again, but not with "redeem" but just trying to get general information.

If they turned out to be some sort of rare stamping or such, they could be worth more. Don't get your hope up, but do research it a bit before you sell them. Do either have a date stamp?

you could always take them to an auction house to get them valued, most have experts which will check the value and give a sale estimate. You would get the gold value at a pawnbrokers but as doubletap states they "might" be worth more than just the gold value

Here's a couple of pix. I have no idea what the inscriptions mean, but the

coin is a Canadian 1981 $50 piece (kinda makes me wanna bite it, like they

do in cartoons), and the other is from a bank in NY with a london outfit's

name on the back. The word "pure" shows up somewhere.

I also have the original sales reciept from a local bank that shows the "Canandian"

maple lead" cost $439 US in 1981, and the bar cost $426.

IMGP1454reduced.jpg

IMGP1453reduced.jpg

• 1. DDz Quorum

Gold did slide in value a year or two back, but has since recovered.

Both items state their weight, and you can look up the value of gold on the commodities markets.

Try this site:

http://goldprice.org/

States gold is currently trading @ 328 GBP or 624.802 USD per ounce (each item above of course is one ounce).

You may find a collector for the Johnson Matthey items and realise a little more $$ but not so likely.

The coin is worth, literally, it's weight in gold!

You may find a local Jeweller can advise you on disposal, I do know that there is a postal/courier service for gold 'scrap' that my brother-in law in VA has used.

I will try and get some more details for you if the above doesn't help :)

For currency conversion http:\\www.xe.com is pretty nifty too :)

Ah thank you fellow marauders of the virtual skies......and BG.

And now we know how BG aquired his vast land holdings and all those

indentured servants. I bet he has a vault downstairs like Jack Benny had,

complete with a guard that wonders what they're gonna do with the kaiser.

I bet he even looks alot like Goldfinger - "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."

I knew the origigin of that coin meant trouble. :idea: