Graphic Card Overheat

Strider

Any ideas welcome!

XFX 6800XTreme AGP 8X 256MB DDR3 card.

Would anyone have an AGP Nvidia card better or equal to an XFX 6800XTreme 8X 256MB DDR3 available for sale?

I presently have the above ( but it's recently started heating up to 128C in game. Needless to say, I can't play until that is resolved.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Is the fan on it's way out?

Often you can tell by rotating it by hand when system is powered down, they tend to have the bearings stiffen up resulting in a lower rpm.

An after market cooler would be an option then..

I think I agree with Roger's idea, although you did mention that you cleaned the card? I would also check the fan as a starting point - and take a look a little deeper into the shroud. There's a finned, copper heatsink in there that the air is directed over and those are liable to get clogged with dust and fluff over time.

Sometimes it's possible to recover these devices by removing the shroud and dismantling it (a fairly easy job) and then blowing the dust out of the fins. Re-assemble with a smidgin of Artic Silver on the GPU (after first cleaning it off with alcohol) and replace it on the card. I've managed to recover a couple of gfx cards this way. An aftermarket cooler is a good idea though if you don't want all the hassle.

B :dog: