Upgrading CD-Rom drive with DVD Writer

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi guys,

My present rig only has a CD-Rom drive. I have just purchased a DVD/CD writer to replace it.

Are there any pitfulls to look out for?

I was expecting it to come with some driver software, but all that was delivered was the actual drive.

Any advice before I start?

Cheers

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Make sure the old CDRom drive is empty before you remove it!

Other than that, check that the new one is an IDE drive and not SATA (I managed to buy a SATA DVD drive by accident - not that it mattered).

OEM drives tend to come without burning software, so you will have to source this independently.

Nero (http://www.ahead.de) is very good a reasonably priced.

If you just want CD/DVD burning then try http://www.poweriso.com

Has advantages of being light, burns and creates images and also has a virtual cd driver to mount ISO files with.

• 2. Administrators

Roger's beaten me to the punch again ;) although I would add that you need to ensure that the jumper settings on the back of your new drive match that on the old one (either master, slave or cable select)

~S~ Jabo

• 1. DDz Quorum

Well the drive went in easily enough. It seems to be working ok as i can browse content. I tried to play a dvd but got the error message that i need a compatable dvd decoder. do i have to purchase it or is there another option?

• 2. Administrators

There are a number of sort of free codecs out there which will enable you to play back DVDs - I'd need to have a look though.

~S~ Jabo

You're running XP right?

Scrap that - download VLC media player (google for VLC and you should find it) - plays pretty much anything...

• 1. DDz Quorum

OK, d/l it.

it is giving me a problem on sound.

i have mentioned it before and managed to get rid of it, but cant remember how !

i am getting a crackle, pulsating noice.

on the dxdiag test for sound it is fine up to step 20 mono 8 bit 22khz, then it starts

music in dxdiag is fine, windows sounds are fine. ts was fine during a quick test.

i have had the same problem when i tried to look at a movie trailer from the vue cinema web site using windows media player so it is not unique to vcl

yours baffled

friar