What is IL2 hugry for

Dagger

What is IL2 needing more of for smoother play:

Better microprocessor, better videocard, more ram?

Considering they are all pretty well balanced to start with, wich of these should one increse if there was only one to choose?

You need at least 1gb of RAM. Anything less and you will run into stutters. If you have that much ram now then a faster CPU would be next. But you really need all three balanced for good performance.

:bg:

I just upgraded from 512 meg to 2 gig of RAM. I was getting a lot of "pauses" during gameplay. Gonna test it out today and see what kind of difference it makes. I also have a Pent 4 3.2 Ghz processor on order. I have a Pent 4 2 Ghz and it's been more than adequate for the games I have. Curious to see which upgrade will have the most dramatic effect. Probably both in combination

Okay....just tried it out. Pausing/stuttering are almost completely gone with the new RAM. I'll tell you something else that helps a LOT. A widescreen hi-res monitor!!! I've been using a laptop with 17 inch widescreen and my desktop has a 19 inch LCD widesceeen. A world of difference.

Alright thanks, I guess a little bit more RAM is the way to go.

As far as video cards, 256 meg is probably the minimum. 512 meg is best. I am kinda stuck because my comp only uses an AGP video card, not the newer PCI Express slot. If you have a comp with a PCI Express slot, you can get some awesome video cards. But spectacular performance comes at spectacular prices.

• 2. Administrators

I'm running a 128Mb AGP card in 'Perfect' mode Dep and getting good frame rates - It's more dependant on the speed of the card and the way it's set up than the memory - This is quite an old game now, but was originally written to run on low-spec machines, so once you get to a certain spec, everything else is frame rate increases - Do you need the game to run at 200fps (I can hear the baying from here!)? Consider your screen refresh rate - 70Hz? - maximum of 70 fps - everything else is just noise. Agree about the memory though, 2Gb makes quite a difference.

Just my 2 cents

~S~ Jabo

Jabo: I always try and get the fastest video card with the most RAM I can lay my hands on. The AGP slot handicaps me, though. I play more than just IL-2 and some games really put pressure on the video cards. I have a feeling the processor upgrade is gonna produce more dramatic effects than the RAM upgrade. It'll be hard to tell because I'm not gonna yank out the 2 gig of RAM and put back the 512meg just to test the processor upgrade. But I can compare performance of the 2 Ghz processor with the 3.2 Ghz processor. Still waiting for delivery though.