Crossfire and IL2 = no benefit

Cold_Gambler

• 2. Administrators

I guess it's not all that surprising that IL2 is not able to utilise the extra hp available when running a crossfire setup - after all, the gfx engine pre-dates any sort of clever stuff like SLI (anybody remember the old Voodoo II? - you could run two of those coupled together ISTR).

Having said that, would it not be worth hanging on to the kit you've already paid for in readiness for future games that would utilise it?

~S~ Jabo

@ BG-

maybe I'm missing something (or have got it set up incorrectly) but cranking up the AA or AF doesn't seem to transfer any load to the second GPU, the 1st one just has more load. The results in GPU-Z are congruent with my Black Death fps results in that they are no different with the 2nd card than alone.

@ Fireman and Jabo- I'm tempted to hold onto the card, but I don't have much time to play anything other than IL2 on a regular basis (3 year old + 5 month old). I play Rome TW here and there and SimCity 4, but the 4850 can take care of those at max settings for those. The games I would need (and presumably will be able to benefit from) the second 4850 are not out yet: Rise of Flight and SoW:BoB and won't be for at least six months... by which time the 4850s will likely be even cheaper (than $189 + tax)OR it might make sense to get a 4870 or 4870X2 at that point, depending on how the prices look.

Angus

Angus,

Here is a link to my Cat Control Settings that I posted on UBI Zoo a couple of weeks ago.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/9381006507?r=2611088507#2611088507

One of the best guys to answer this would be Quazi. When I first installed my second card, I thought the same thing as you re frame rates. But when I started looking at IQ the difference in Image Quality between one card and two, I was finally convinced of the merits of Crossfire. No tearing or any of that distortion you sometimes get on concrete runways. I bought both cards on Ebay for around $100 each. I have made up my mind that in future, I am always going to be a year behind in technology. That is when you really get the bargoons. I'll see if I can get Quazi to drop by and post his thoughts.

:bg:

Thanks Jim,

I've only done some raw Black Death track scoring in conjunction with GPU-Z in the background, I haven't done any flying to determine whether the Image Quality is better.

I'd love to keep this second 4850 as it overclocked just as well as my original one.

I'm in Windsor for hearings at the moment and won't be back home until Thursday, so testing will have to wait 'till then at the earliest.

I'd love to get Quazi's input on the benefits of my set-up, unfortunately will be unable to send him a diagnostic test as am on laptop.

Cheers mate,

C_G

• 1 month later...