Just upgraded my RAM

Deputy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

$200! Holy cow Dep...I see what you mean though, with the general shift on new machines to DDR2, it's getting progressively more difficult to find the older formats (I've had a proper struggle recently to get hold of 2Gb PC3200 at a reasonable price)

~S~ Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Jabo: If it wasn't for the fact I built this comp mtself from parts, I'd probably have gone for a new one. But the dual core processors in bigger sizes are VERY pricey. Plus dual core is geared more for multitasking than game-playing.

No dispute there m8, I was just generally agreeing with you. I have a similar problem with my rig as it's a generation (possibly two) out of date - DDR RAM and an AGP gfx slot. Next upgrade will have to be a biggie - mainboard, processor, memory and gfx card(s)

~S~ Jabo

Jabo: If it wasn't for the fact I built this comp mtself from parts, I'd probably have gone for a new one. But the dual core processors in bigger sizes are VERY pricey. Plus dual core is geared more for multitasking than game-playing.

No dispute there m8, I was just generally agreeing with you. I have a similar problem with my rig as it's a generation (possibly two) out of date - DDR RAM and an AGP gfx slot. Next upgrade will have to be a biggie - mainboard, processor, memory and gfx card(s)

~S~ Jabo

Ha! I have the AGP situation too!!! ;D I'm using an Nvidia 256 meg on mine because my monitor still uses the old style VGA plug instead of the newer digital plug. It''s a Proview LCD widescreen monitor and I still get good resolution and performance. Like you my next major upgrade will be full blast with 4 GIG of RAM (that's dirt cheap now) and all the bells and whistles. Heck, I still have a 3.5 inch floppy drive on my comp

• 2. Administrators

I'm using an Nvidia 256 meg on mine because my monitor still uses the old style VGA plug instead of the newer digital plug

Ditto, I was fortunate enough recently to be given a new gfx card and it's improved the game experience considerably without sacrificing fps, but it's still AGP, and although there is still some scope for upgrades, I think I'm better off not spending too much more on it, it's not as if it'll be worth anything.

Oh, one thing to bear in mind, although I'm sure you know this already. Even if you're switching to Vista (urgh) the 64-bit versions are the only ones which would be able to use 4Gb, I think the 32-bit versions can't use more than 3 - 3.5Gb?

~S~ Jabo

I'm using an Nvidia 256 meg on mine because my monitor still uses the old style VGA plug instead of the newer digital plug

Ditto, I was fortunate enough recently to be given a new gfx card and it's improved the game experience considerably without sacrificing fps, but it's still AGP, and although there is still some scope for upgrades, I think I'm better off not spending too much more on it, it's not as if it'll be worth anything.

Oh, one thing to bear in mind, although I'm sure you know this already. Even if you're switching to Vista (urgh) the 64-bit versions are the only ones which would be able to use 4Gb, I think the 32-bit versions can't use more than 3 - 3.5Gb?

~S~ Jabo

oh CRAP!!! I forgot about the Vista thing :(. I have XP on a CDROM, but a pre-built will come with Vista. One other thing you might want to check out and to which I am looking into...there are motherboards that let you keep the P4 processor but have all the slots for the newer devices like PCI card and inexpensive RAM.

• 2. Administrators

I'm an AMD kid really Dep - Not looking to move to Intel unless they pull off a major coup. I think the AMD chips are a little cheaper clock for clock, and I've had no reliability probs with them in the past. No, I'm going to sling the lot and start again (keeping the opticals, HDDs and FDD though - and the PSU - Spent a lot of money on that and it's ridiculously over-spec.)

~S~ Jabo

Well I'll see how my comp works out with the processor and RAM upgrade. I gotta drag my joystick over there and see what the 2 gig RAM improvement has done. I was getting a lot of hesitation on IL-2 with only 512 meg. With 2 gig of ECC RAM I would hope there is some improvement. My processor right now is a Pent 4 2 Ghz. From what I've read the processer upgrade has more dramatic effect than the RAM. We shall see