Need some Video Card advice

APHill

From what I have seen on the UBI Boards, this seems to be a fairly common problem with some of the 4870's. Our own B16 Enk has one and posted this: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/7331004107?r=9291018307#9291018307

I still think some of the newer cards are wasted on Il2. If you are running other games then yes. I am running two X1950XTX's in Crossfire and I think they are perfect for Il2.

Thanks for the reply Jim

You say you are running 2 cards? Ill have to see if I have room for 2. LOL!

I think you may be right on the newer cards being wasted on IL 2. The game is old and you can only get just so much out of it. I had to try though. I maay try the two cards you mentioned.

Tom

i'm running a 4850 overclocked (with a E8400 and 2 gigs of RAM) and am very happy with its performance. I did, however, have to do a fan tweak as the default fan speed was VERY low and temps were high... You might consider getting a 4850 as a cheaper replacement it certainly has enough power to keep IL2 smooth.

I'm running my 4850 at perfect at 1920X1200 (25.5 inches of wide-screen heaven) w/o any hiccups :)

My card overclocked very nicely, but I had to increase the default fan speed (from 6% (!) to 45%)... don't have the exact OC numbers but I think it's at 685 core 1200 mem. 

Hey Stingray,

AA= 4X ("Adaptive AA" enabled (at second notch from right) with multi-sampling selected)

AF= 8X

Vertical sync always on

GPU @ 690,

Gmem @ 1130

CPU is a E8400 at stock 3.00, I've OC'd it to 3.4 but had to add voltage and didn't notice much improvement in the Black Death so I leave it at stock.

System RAM is 2 gigs of DDR3

Having said all that (and much ballyhooing in this thread that the 4850 is a fantastic card that can run IL2 without hiccups... all still true, imo)... I saw a good deal on another 4850 at Best Buy and decided (since I got a raise burning a hole in my pocket) to pick up another for Crossfire! (unfirtunately I'm having issues- see other thread) [update: Crossfire doesn't seem to do much for IL2/1946- 2nd GPU gets next to no load, I'm considering returning the 2nd 4850]

Hope that info helps,

C_G

I have the same problems with the artifacts, but I'm just living with it as I toooccasionally run other gamesand it works fine for them. As far as raw performance goes (and IQ too, artifacts aside) it's hard to beat the bang-per-buck of the 4850.

I can't stand seeing the cockpit bars tearing up as I look around with TIR... that said, I'm not sure if I checked to see if this was still a problem with my new monitor- with my old 18" LCD it was really distracting (particularly since it had really bad ghosting). I don't think I bothered changing the settings since I changed monitors.

At those settings even with v-sync on and with only the one 4850 I was still getting around 60 fps in Black Death (except, of course, when the LA-5 flies into the FW).

I'll try taking off v-sync and see how it looks with the new components.

Angus

I wish you would try my settings Angus. I originally got them from Quazi. If you don't like them you can always set them back to where you were. With those two cards in Crossfire you should be able to crank everything up to max eye candy and still get the same frame rates. Tried calling him again this morning but he doesn't answer. I hope he is ok.

:bg: