USB2 extention cable Quextion

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Perhaps a "Doh!" type question but is it ok to use a usb2 extention cable when connecting to a usb1 cable.

I am preparing to move my stuff over to a "new" computer and want to extend by trackir cable.

Cheers

Friar

Edit By Friar:

• 1. DDz Quorum

For potential future questions:

USB2 as an extension for USB1 is good.

USB1 as an extension for USB2 is also usually ok, I have used USB1 cables for high demand USB2 devices with no obvious sign of performance issue.

Kind of makes me wonder if USB2 cables are a marketing ploy....a good USB1 cable is just as capable of carrying the signal without degradation.

However if it is a very long cable, as in 2 or 3 metres, then the outcome may very well be different!

• 1 month later...

Kind of makes me wonder if USB2 cables are a marketing ploy....a good USB1 cable is just as capable of carrying the signal without degradation.

Spot on .

As the cable gets longer then the physical attributes have some bearing on perfomance but on short runs a 99c USB1 cable is as good as 60 dollar gold-plated USB2+ cable. Remeber thats its usually on a cheap ribbon from the MB to the front of the PC case anyway.

My favorite "tax on stupidity" is the HDMI cable market in Britain.

The fact that there are some people who spend £300 on a 99.999% pure copper wire coated with silver,gold then platinum in order to get " richer flesh tones ", more vibrent colours" and " more dynanic suround sound" badly need a lesson on the basics of digital transmission!!