Multi-core PCUs and IL2, is it worth assigning IL2 to one core?

Cold_Gambler

I looked at the guide at Mission4today to assign IL2 on its own core and everything else on the other core and figured I could test it by doing it manually via the Task Manager.

I tried it and it seemed to have worked (the IL2 core was maxed, the other doing little) but I failed to see any improvement in frames... has anyone else tried it?

• 2. Administrators

As I understand the internal architecture of 'normal' (non-laptop) multicore processors surely it would be more beneficial to utilise both (or all four) cores especially if you're using dual channel memory? In any case, all the internal cores will use the same FSB, so I'm not sure where the speed increase would come from.

I believe that laptop cpu architecture is different to that used in desktops, so that may account for the difference between the guys using desktops and those like RitterCuda who use laptops.

Just my two cents

~S~ Jabo

As I understand the internal architecture of 'normal' (non-laptop) multicore processors surely it would be more beneficial to utilise both (or all four) cores especially if you're using dual channel memory? In any case, all the internal cores will use the same FSB, so I'm not sure where the speed increase would come from.

I think you are essentially correct, but it depends on the nature of the program that is being executed.

From what I've read IL2 doesn't play well with dual cores. It may well be that it isn't anissue on all dual cores. I believe the issue is with the computer's assignment of the cores to the game as the game can only use one, and if the computer is switching back and forth between cores it can cause lag and stutters. If that's the case with an individual computer then it would make sense to assign the game to one core manually, if it's not a problem then I'd just let the computer do it.

• 2. Administrators

If that's the case with an individual computer then it would make sense to assign the game to one core manually, if it's not a problem then I'd just let the computer do it.

Good point - especially as I only have a single-core PC