What is the best software to make movies from saved tracks?

Nevart

• 2. Administrators

What he said. I'm just getting to grips with Fraps myself. It seems reasonably straightforward.

BTW Welcome to the pound Nevart, must have missed your welcome post from Jim, but ~s~ anyway

~s~ Jabo

Fraps is the only software I know to convert the sreen display to an AVI.

Once you have an AVI file then any editing software will do

Windows XP embedded free software is "Windows Movie Maker"

Its very basic (just like "MS Paint") but still very servicable and allows basic mixing of sound FX and music.

If you save it as a WMV you can reduce a 500Mb+ fraps avi to a 10-20Mb final output size

Fraps is good for the screen capture, but it saves the files as raw video, and those files are BIG.

Try using VirtualDub (free dl) to compress the files into eg. mpeg2, then import to moviemaker.

Also, I had to run the game in a window at 1024 by 768 to capture, or the result would be stuttery and too big. 800x600 would

be good enough for YouTube.

Have fun editing it down, lol. :)

Good luck.

Under the FRAPS control panel (where you set the hot keys for recording) you can set the resolution of the recording.

You don't need to change the game res

I set mine to record 640 x 480 (VGA) from a game res of 1280 x 1024

Don't forget that Full 'state of the art' HD home cinema format (1080p) is only 1,920x1,080

High quality DVD resolution is 720×480 (NTSC) or 720×576 (PAL)

640 x 480 is more than high enough quality for internet use and if you upload to You Tube you will be resized to 320x240 FLASH7

Try and keep the format as raw (AVI) for as long as possible. You will lose quality as you compress the image so I always keep the image umcompressed for as long as possible. The worst thing for you can do is compress a image that has been compressed buy a different algorithm. Once you have finished your master edited final movie you can delete those masive raw capture files.

I always try to create a master using avi as it is a lossless format then re-encode the finished file at progressively higher compresion until quality begins to drop to get the smallest file possible.

This alows you to produce a high quality version for local distribution and low quality for web distibution