Sad Sad News

Tonar

I hated when that thing crashed, as it was one of my favs at the CAF shows. They lost the B-26 a short time before that, so that took out my two favorite planes they had. I photographed those extensively on my two trips to harlengen in 89 and 90. I hvae some slides taken inside the cockpit, and I climbed into the dorsal gunner position as well.

In 89 i got there just in time on fri to see it collapse the left gear. They had it flying the next yr. They had just put her in a desert camo scheme as well.

They used to do a deal where It would taxi in front of the crowd, a kubelwagon (vw thing) would pull up, and a really fat guy dressed Like Hermann would get out and wait on Adolph to get off the plane. They would give the sieg hiel and get in the veh and drive away.

It was priceless. ZMost of the rest of them were scrapped shortly after the BoB movie. I know there are a few more in museums, and the USAF museum has one of hte spanish ones.

Nice photo's M8. It's a tough decision to fly these old birds, on one hand you want to see them in the air, on the other, you hate to see guy's get killed doing it. (and of course it's sad to see the plane get killed too)