firefly

JensenPark

• 2. Administrators

The Firefly is usually classified as a 'heavy' fighter which excelled in the nightfighter and asw roles with a massive range of 1,300 miles and a top speed a whisker under 400mph (about 50mph slower than the Seafire). I've not been able to find any records of actions yet, but the type went into service in '43 and was still operational at the end of the Korean war, although by this time it was restricted to asw and anti-shipping roles.

There are about 15 examples still in existence worldwide and a few airworthy ones (all in the US AFAIK). Sadly the sole european airworthy example which was owned by the Royal Navy Historic Flight was lost in a crash at Flying Legends in 2003, killing the pilot and one of the RNHF ground crew who was along for the ride. The two photos below were taken shortly before the accident (incidentally, if anyone thinks they're in poor taste, PM me and I'll remove them)

On a more cheerful note however, there are now two examples undergoing restoration at Duxford, one of which is going to Hendon, and the other which is being restored to airworthy condition.

Firefly.jpg

Firefly2.jpg

Jabo

That thing would be a real hoot in this or the future sim.....but kinda unlikely I guess. I always though it reminded me of the Fairy Fulmar early war FAA fighter in its layout.

Pity about the one above being lost. Ive got alot of pix of planes through the yrs that have since been lost, like the CAF He-111 and B-26.

The Firefly is usually classified as a 'heavy' fighter which excelled in the nightfighter and asw roles with a massive range of 1,300 miles and a top speed a whisker under 400mph (about 50mph slower than the Seafire). I've not been able to find any records of actions yet, but the type went into service in '43 and was still operational at the end of the Korean war, although by this time it was restricted to asw and anti-shipping roles.

There are about 15 examples still in existence worldwide and a few airworthy ones (all in the US AFAIK). Sadly the sole european airworthy example which was owned by the Royal Navy Historic Flight was lost in a crash at Flying Legends in 2003, killing the pilot and one of the RNHF ground crew who was along for the ride. The two photos below were taken shortly before the accident (incidentally, if anyone thinks they're in poor taste, PM me and I'll remove them)

On a more cheerful note however, there are now two examples undergoing restoration at Duxford, one of which is going to Hendon, and the other which is being restored to airworthy condition.

Quite the opposite, I believe these two men died doing what they loved. It's quite fitting to let others share in that passion.

love how high the pilot sits in the cockpit...must be great visibility.

The high seat , two crew and wide-track U/C are due to the firefly being designed for the navy as a "reconnaissance fighter".

The Admiralty never followed up on their sucssess at Taranto (The attack that started Yamomoto thinking) and never used the carriers as strike platforms. As such the Firefly was only ment to spot ships and subs for the fleet and to chase off bombers and the odd Condor. It was never designed to face short range shore based fighters.

In the east it was fitted with rockets and used as a strike aircraft and actually managed to shoot down a Ki43 "Oscar".

It was reported to have good low speed handling and was much better suited to naval operations than the seafire