Kill stealing?

Highlander

I had an opportunity in Z vs W tonight to take a kill from another player. He was following a P40 @ about 500 to 600 meters behind and not making up much ground, and I was about 1000 meters above and behind. I could have zoomed in and taken the shot, but I didn't because I didn't want to steal a kill that he might have gotten. Proper etiquette or dumb move?

If he wasnt firing then Id have dived in.

If he was firing Id still make take up position as he might run out of ammo or have to break off or it might have made the bandit turn and one of you might have got him.

Only way to know if it is ok by him is if both are on comms but better to get the bandit than let it away.

if it was one of those goofy ones where the guy is way way back out of range and not gaining - and you were able to swoop in, I'd go ahead - unless the target was smoking - then I'd hang back a bit to watch his 6 and give a few more moments.

while people get antsy about the kill stealing - I know I'm happy that someone clobbered someone I was chasing but not catching.

I had an opportunity in Z vs W tonight to take a kill from another player. He was following a P40 @ about 500 to 600 meters behind and not making up much ground, and I was about 1000 meters above and behind. I could have zoomed in and taken the shot, but I didn't because I didn't want to steal a kill that he might have gotten. Proper etiquette or dumb move?

On comms or not? If so, as the guy. They'll usually say go ahead. Was the P40 a serious threat or not? If so, take it out. Even if you go ahead without mentioning anything, you were in the better position. The best example of this is when some twit is 3-400 m off a bomber's 6, and I swoop dwon in a classic slash attack, and the dufus screams "stop cutting in!!" WHILE he gets his a$$ shot to hell by the bomber! I'm attacking correctly, and you're not, stupid!

Anyway, if you "cut in" in this manner, Highlander, you're taking advantage of a superior position. No good pilot would (should) bitch at you about it.

Thanks all. I think that I was in a better position to attack the P40 than the guy trailing him was, in hind sight I should have taken the shot as he was not gaining on him and just wasting ammo with his spray and pray. At the time tho I did not want to infringe on his attack I should have just zoomed in and killed(LOL) the P 40 :take_one:

Naaaah. Kill them. If they cant catch em, they should know that the war effort comes first. If they are that far away and not gaining and they were under my command, they would wind up sweeping mines with their boots if they protested.

You can't really pay much attention to anyone who badmouths us for being effective in combat.......if we ever become effective in combat.

:knight: