LCD monitors

BBloke

Hi All,

I'm not thinking of upgrading my monitor any time soon as my trusty CRT is still going strong and high resolutions are something I'm not too interested in (yet) but I was wondering if any of you have an LCD and what you thought of it for gaming.

I never had a CRT Chris but I will swear by an LCD. The ones they make today are also a way much better than the ones from 3 or 4 years ago. I have yet to see a bad pixel on the two LCD's I own.

I paid $1,200 for an 19" Sony and it is no better than the 19" Samsung $400 jobby.

Colour, sharpness are great on both. Only problem I have is night missions but that could be because of cataracts and my inability to properly adjust gamma and brightness in ATI CCC.

...high resolutions are something I'm not too interested in (yet)...

IIRC, I could get a higher resolution (in theory) on my 19" Samsung CRT than I can get on either of my LCDs.

But what you can't get with CRT, Bbloke, is true flat screen and more importantly, WIIIIIDE SCREEEEEN!

Believe me if you get a chance to play on a wide screen...don't!

another thing..........

screen refresh rates....

make sure you get a good monitor that is cabable of higher rates.......

One thing I've found after using an LCD (after many years of CRT use) is that they seem to be harder on the eyes.

another thing..........

screen refresh rates....

make sure you get a good monitor that is cabable of higher rates.......

One thing I've found after using an LCD (after many years of CRT use) is that they seem to be harder on the eyes.  More headaches and blurry vision issues since swithcing over.

I've had laser surgery in the past and my vision has been quite stable...........until I stated using an LCD.  Now my vision is blurrier/etc/etc.

And no cracks about my age.  I'm still under 40 (just....)

Yeah, I'm with BG.... Are you running your LCD at higher than native refresh rate? I've found that with both of my samsungs they have to be run at 60, anything else gives me a headache in minutes, otherwise they are very easy on the eyes. I really recommend that you try your native refresh rate (I think most LCD's are 60) and turn Vsynch on (that will prevent tearing).

guys - lcds display differently from crts so refresh rate isnt an issue with them - they usually only have one 60hz or 2 ( 60 and 75hz)- they are actually easier on the eyes than crts- CRTs should be set to greater than 60hz refresh.

the only problem Iv found since going from crt to lcd is that I have to run it at the native resolution of 1280*1024 instead of 1024*768. or I get game crashes

I find the dots easier to see at lower res and of course you get slightly higher fps a lower res

I bought a viewsonic vp930b which isnt a " gaming" panel but meant to have high iq. Iv never had any problems with ghosting or dead pixels etc- viewsonic offer a zero dead pixel guarentee on these monitors which is why I bought it.

there are different types of panels - here is a good review section

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=85

and a web site developed from the work here

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

hope this helps

Yeah dot spot is awful in IL2 and I think they should re-visit the large dot patch that they created along with a secondary DOT range setting to show size difference.

Thanks again :)