B-17 Restoration

Zeus-cat

• 1. DDz Quorum

Three options:

Upload them to our server, and link from there,

Send them to me and I'll put them on my photobucket account.

Or use the in-built in-line image attachment available here (you should see 'Add image to post' just below the area in which you enter text, this will auto thumbnail too :)

IMG_1406.jpg

This is one of the wingtips with all of the skin removed. For the past three months they have been removing all the skin. Still a fair amount to remove.

IMG_1415.jpg

Here is how we remove the skin. You can see four rivets on the bottom row that have been drilled into. After you drill the head, you take a hammer and chisel and pop the head off. The four rivets on the left have head their heads removed. Then you take a punch and try to drive the rivet shaft through the hole. Not always very easy. Repeat 62,000,000 times or however many rivets there are.

Turning left at Chicago would take me to Mexico - eventually.

June is about right - June, 2016. They estimate 6 to 8 years. I think they will be lucky to do it in 10.

They do sell rides in these things. However, don't expect me to get you one. I'll probably have to buy a ride for myself.

RightWing.jpg

Not very exciting, but this is some of the right wing. All the skin will be removed and replaced. If you look at the top of the photo you can see where the aeliron would attach. It's just above the section where the skin has been removed.

SheetsofAluminumDrilledforNewSkin.jpg

This is a photo of new .032 inch aluminum (note: pronounced a-loom-i-numb, not Al-u-minnie-um) that has been drilled out. That is what me and two other guys did yesterday, although this is not the piece we made. We spent two hours drilling through the holes in an old piece of skin into a blank sheet of aluminum. We must have drilled 500 or more holes. Holes 1/4 inch or larger could not be drilled as it is too hard to get them centered properly. They get drilled once the the new skin is mounted to the plane; using the existing hole in the plane as a guide for the drill bit. We did not cut the skin out of the sheet, nor did we cut out the holes where stuff mounted to the aircraft.

Looksprettysimple.jpg

This is the most detailed plans I have seen. I hope somebody has some idea of what we are doing because so far they just turn us loose to take stuff apart.

ShelvesofParts.jpg

Parts are just stacked everywhere. Again, I don't know if someone has cataloged all this stuff or not.

Below are the rest of the photos I have. Some are pretty close to what I have posted already. I'll try and get some more next Thursday.

MoreParts.jpg

WingtipandotherParts.jpg

ForwardFuselage4.jpg

MoreoftheBallTurret.jpg

NewSkin.jpg

Closeupofrivets.jpg

• 1 month later...