help with chkdsk please

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Guys,

I am trying to recover from the error "hal.dll is either missing or corrupt". this prevents the laptop from booting. after doing some reasearch on the net i have been able to get into the recovery console. a common piece of advice was run chkdsk / r.

i have tried this but it has been stuck on 1% fo hours now, something is obviously not working.

should i / can i switch off or should i leave it.

any advice / pointers please?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Aborting check disk will not cause damage, however it needs to be run.

Sounds like your disk has suffered physical failure, and will need to be replaced.

There are several utilities that can be used to recover data if the disk is readable.

Knoppix is pretty good, but the other distros also have live CDs.

As this is an XP laptop I will assume it is ntfs formatted, so you won't be able to read from a dos boot disk.

Knoppix will mount the disk, if readable, and should also be able to get the network up and running for file transfer.

Alternatively Knoppix can read and write to USB drives, easier if they are plugged in when you boot.

• 1. DDz Quorum

UPDATE

i left it running over night and it failed at 25% with the message "the drive has 1 or more un-recoverable errors"

bootcfg /rebuild also failed to start because of a similar error.

New drive time, and a chance to experiment with Knoppix if you need to recover any data...:(

• 1. DDz Quorum

Following a rather disturbing incident with Sister Agneta, 2 Choir boys and an unusualy shaped crucifix (well thats what she it was) lines "upstairs" are engaged at the moment.

Anyway, as far as computers are concerned, I consider Bbloke and B16ENK more than just mere mortals.