Hosting Woes

DoubleTap

I wasn't shouting. I was whispering evil threats.

A couple of thoughts.

Which computer did Glenn set up his port forwarding from? If it was the Dell, perhaps the NM isn't seeing it. That has happened to me a couple of times. Has he tried cleaning out all the port forwarding entries from the router and then resetting them? That has also caused me problems until I reset the port forwarding all at once.

Has he looked at his Network connection to make sure he the plug in the correct place? Has he gone into to his Internet Protocol and set up his TCP thingy like this.

Network-Connection.jpg

I will try it all, SWEAT TO GOD!! :tongue3:

Well M8's,

I appreciate your assistance with my new system, but I am afraid it was all for naught. It will be going back to Cyberpower. After the other issues I was having, including DEP warnings and occasional mis-starts of windows, the PC now does not like the USB IR sensor for the Media Center remote. Whenever it is plugged in, the computer literally takes forever to load, and then runs like a snail. Any concept I had of being talked into keeping it and working on it with tech support was slaughtered by their Rep John. This is the same twerp who told me that the hum on the PC was my speakers, and then told me it would go away with my reinstallation of the MB drivers. He is an arrogant, obnoxious prick. When he told me I should reinstall XP to solve the various problems I was having, I was done. I did NOT want to have to be dealing with this jackass for tech support for the next 3 years, and at this point, I might as well have built the 'effer myself.

So, not that any of you might have been thinking of it, but I would scratch Cyberpower off your list for PC suppliers. Wasn't worth money, wasn't worth the wait and wasn't worth the hassle. *%&%#@!

javascript:emoticon(':blackknight:')

blackknight

I GOT YOUR RE-INSTALL RIGHT HERE!!

Doubletap :blackknight: :blackknight: :blackknight: :blackknight:

Thats a bummer mate- you search for your best choice, pay yer cash, eagerly await delivery and its a dog- then to cap it all support is as much use as a fart in a spacesuit. this kind of shite makes me really mad. I hope you get it sorted, you should phone and write to the sales staff to complain about your treatment and demand that they get someone competent to support your pc, failing that threaten to return it to them and demand money back and compensation- I hope you guys have the same distance selling laws that we have so you can return and get full refund if necesserry.

BTW are you running windows media centre ? XP pro is a better system for gaming- if thats the primary purpose of pc

Thats a bummer mate- you search for your best choice, pay yer cash, eagerly await delivery and its a dog- then to cap it all support is as much use as a fart in a spacesuit. this kind of shite makes me really mad. I hope you get it sorted, you should phone and write to the sales staff to complain about your treatment and demand that they get someone competent to support your pc, failing that threaten to return it to them and demand money back and compensation- I hope you guys have the same distance selling laws that we have so you can return and get full refund if necesserry.

BTW are you running windows media centre ? XP pro is a better system for gaming- if thats the primary purpose of pc

Dave,

Interesting you ask, yes, it was Media Center. One, but certainly not the primary goal, was to use it for recording TV and playing it back on my projector, which is why got Media Center. So, XP Pro is better for gaming? I believe you, but why is that? Is it more stable?

Perhaps I will get that next time. I can get a TV tuner card anyway, and I don't need all the bells and whistles of MC.

BTW, their policy is a full refund, minus the shipping fee, but I am going to agitate for that back as well on the grounds that thing was a dog from the get go, AND they did not give me the right part I had ordered with it.

In any event, lesson learned. Its back to hosting on the Dell until I can find me a good substitute. I may go local if the company can guarantee me the s**t will work.

Again, thanks for the help again, Gents.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I think stability wise they are about the same.

MC however may have more processes and drivers running/loaded that use precious RAM and cpu cycles.

Building your own is not that hard, and need not be particularly time consuming either, although I have seen it is cheaper to buy like for like from a box shifter as opposed to buying in component form.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out Glenn, and hoping you get shipping refunded too.