Hosting Woes

DoubleTap

Alright Gents,

I tried my best to solve this on my own, but I am stumped at this point and chasing my tail.

I am trying to setup the new PC for hosting duties, and I cannot get it show up on the internet, or at least I can't access it with my other PC over the internet, something I am able to do with my Dell. Joining it via lAN is no problem, but no joy through an internet connection.

I forwarded the port 21000 through my router, copying what I had done with my Dell, but of course using the New PC's lan IP. I have made sure there is an exception in the firewall of the PC for Il2, and hell, I even turned OFF the firewall completely once to try that out. Nothing. Always timed out. I am using the same versions of the game. I deleted the DELL's listing in the router just in case there was a conflict, even though I had changed its port numbers.

The New PC has a static address, and from what I have read and based on what the settings of my DELL were, everything SEEMS like it is setup correctly. Any suggestions are welcome, but for now, I have a few questions meant to eliminate things I could think of:

1) Does it matter if you lan IP's are contiguous? (they were not before, are now, no joy)

2) Does the fact that the New PC's IP is the last one in the LAN matter?

3) Does it matter if in IL2 Setup, the DELL is still listed as port 21000?

4) On my DELL, the DNS is listed as the same IP as my Router, which had worked. Should I switch the DNS on the new one to my internet IP?

5) Does it matter what TYPE of connection I set for the game, ie, LAN, DAL, CABLE, ISDN. I believe I tried them all, anyway, but thought I'd ask...

For what it is worth, I am posting a grab of my router page. The 192.168.0.4 address IS the static IP I assigned the new PC on the LAN.

routersettings.jpg

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi Glenn.

Have you confirmed that the windowz firewall is off?

1) Does it matter if you lan IP's are contiguous? (they were not before, are now, no joy)

Nope.

2) Does the fact that the New PC's IP is the last one in the LAN matter?

Also no.

3) Does it matter if in IL2 Setup, the DELL is still listed as port 21000?

Umm no, I think. Dell would connect via 192.168.0.4:21000

4) On my DELL, the DNS is listed as the same IP as my Router, which had worked. Should I switch the DNS on the new one to my internet IP?

Err, no your router is acting as DNS proxy, it resolves local name lookups by querying the DNS servers [i[it's configured with[/i]

5) Does it matter what TYPE of connection I set for the game, ie, LAN, DAL, CABLE, ISDN. I believe I tried them all, anyway, but thought I'd ask...

Only so far as lag/playability are concerned, as this determines the packet scheduling for clients....when it's a server.

You can join hosted games OK? So it's not that there is more than one network interface configured?

Double check the IL2Setup network tab, and ensure it is using the right interface/address.

Hi Glenn.

Have you confirmed that the windowz firewall is off?

I believe I did when I tried it, but I will go back over this from the ground up one more time.

You can join hosted games OK? So it's not that there is more than one network interface configured?

Double check the IL2Setup network tab, and ensure it is using the right interface/address.

Ok, this brings up something else, as I ran across something on the PF boards. When you say the right address, do you mean the port number, or an actual address. On the PF boards someone else mentioned being able to select a number from a list rather than default, and I did not see what they were referring to. The only thing shown in my network tab is the "Connection" select box (ISDN, LAN, CABLE, etc.) the skin download check box, and the Port number entry box.

One other thing, this computer has 3 network ports, two LAN type, and 1 IE type. Only one is hooked up, and I am sure I have the LAN in the right one, but would the other two still interfere?

Glenn lad,

Have you checked your logs (Router or Firewall)? If it is either blocking it, you should be able to see which one, if any, is doing it.

Make sure your IP is correct. Go to start/run/cmd/ipconfig/all and see what comes up. Your internal IP for your new computer may be different from what you think and this should verify it.

There is an answer. We just have to make sure you can find it.

BTW Are you at home now?

• 1. DDz Quorum

If it not showing IP addresses then you only have one networked card configured, IL2:FB should use this address by default.

Do as Jim suggests, and also post the result of the start>run>cmd 'ipconfig/all'

Glenn lad,

Have you checked your logs (Router or Firewall)? If it is either blocking it, you should be able to see which one, if any, is doing it.

Make sure your IP is correct. Go to start/run/cmd/ipconfig/all and see what comes up. Your internal IP for your new computer may be different from what you think and this should verify it.

BTW Are you at home now?

Jim, I am home as of 2:08pm EST. Will be for a while. Will check this thread...for a while...

Glenn lad,

BTW Are you at home now?

Jim, I am home as of 2:08pm EST. Will be for a while. Will check this thread...posting info...

• 1. DDz Quorum

C:\Documents and Settings\Roger>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : rogers

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain_not_set.invalid

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain_not_set.invalid

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-29-D4-2A-AA

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.66

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 158.152.1.58

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 27 March 2006 15:42:00

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 28 March 2006 15:42:00

This has been my expeirence with the Dell and my gaming rig. Of course our routers are from different manufactures, but the same rule should apply. Also, I had Netgear stuff at one time and it worked the same. Anyway, when you type in the 192.168.0.1 and open the routers configurationg, find the section that deals with POrt Fowarding as you have already done. What I had to do here is add port 21000 for each computer using the inside Lan ip for both. So you forward port 21000 for your rigs inside ip and do the same for the other rig using its' inside ip. Doing it this way allowed both rigs to host or connect to each other or outside.

Also, make these changes from the first computer in the connection loop. Not sure if this is necessary, but there's no need in using one computer to set its' port forwarding up, and then going to the other computer to set it's portforwarding up. Do them both from one computer.

I am on TS with Clarke and BG and we just thought of something. Are you running an ethernet cable from your computer to the other computer instead of connecting it directly to the router? Because what I described above is for all the copmuters to be connected to the router, with no LAN connections.

This has been my expeirence with the Dell and my gaming rig. Of course our routers are from different manufactures, but the same rule should apply. Also, I had Netgear stuff at one time and it worked the same. Anyway, when you type in the 192.168.0.1 and open the routers configurationg, find the section that deals with POrt Fowarding as you have already done. What I had to do here is add port 21000 for each computer using the inside Lan ip for both. So you forward port 21000 for your rigs inside ip and do the same for the other rig using its' inside ip. Doing it this way allowed both rigs to host or connect to each other or outside.

Also, make these changes from the first computer in the connection loop. Not sure if this is necessary, but there's no need in using one computer to set its' port forwarding up, and then going to the other computer to set it's portforwarding up. Do them both from one computer.

I am on TS with Clarke and BG and we just thought of something. Are you running an ethernet cable from your computer to the other computer instead of connecting it directly to the router? Because what I described above is for all the copmuters to be connected to the router, with no LAN connections.

Quaz,

Thanks for the help. I will try that when I am home, but I am pretty sure when I tried to put the same port number for more than one computer in the router, I got an error message warning me of overlap, and then it rejected the setup. However, I will try it again.

As far as the LAN setup, no. All the PC's are hooked to the router itself.

I may have to contact the company regarding this, as it seems the setup is generally good. I am wondering if there is some freaky setting on it which is keeping it from working.

LOL! I thought I had it when I setup Port Triggering yesterday on a whim. I was able to connect over the internet, or so I thought. It turns out that even though I put the Internet IP in when I joined the game with my DELL, it actually was still connecting over the LAN. I had to turn off the cable modem to confirm this.

Also, Roger, thanks again for the assist yesterday.

BTW, regarding the sound issue I had earlier, the sound card the company sent me came, and after I installed it, TADAHH!, no hum no buzz, just sweet, sweet engine noise. The card is definitely not top of the line, but the sound is much better and I no longer hear the computer innards churning.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Glenn's problem is really weird.

He can connect from his Dell to the new monster (aka NM), using local IP address 192.168.0.4, this is via the router which is functioning (in this scenario) as a switch (hub).

However if he sets up port forwarding, to forward port 21000 traffic (UDP and TCP) to his internet address the connection fails.

Traffic leaves his Dell, traverses through the router then 'evaporates'. I tried connecting from my PC to no avail.

It is as though his router is dropping the port 21000 traffic from the internet rather than forwarding it, yet if he makes the Dell the server on 192.168.0.2 it receives the traffic OK.

To recap:

NM can host locally.

NM cannot host internet.

Dell can host locally.

Dell can host via internet.

Router demonstrates it can forward port 21000 locally to both, but only to Dell via internet.

I have suggested Glenn gets the Dell hosting from internet, then re-configures Dell and NM with each others IP address (this will require disconnecting lead on one to prevent IP address conflicy until re-addressing complete).

Any body else got any ideas?

I'm off to read his router manual now....

• 1. DDz Quorum

I SHOUT LOUDER!! :)

Jim, Glenn read through his logs whilst I was on TS with him.

His router will allow the traffic through to Dell, but not NM.

I cannot see how it would be possible to configure the router to drop only that 21000 traffic to NM.

Glenn, did you try to see if the Dell can host still, then swapping IP's around?

I wasn't shouting. I was whispering evil threats.

A couple of thoughts.

Which computer did Glenn set up his port forwarding from? If it was the Dell, perhaps the NM isn't seeing it. That has happened to me a couple of times. Has he tried cleaning out all the port forwarding entries from the router and then resetting them? That has also caused me problems until I reset the port forwarding all at once.

Has he looked at his Network connection to make sure he the plug in the correct place? Has he gone into to his Internet Protocol and set up his TCP thingy like this.

Network-Connection.jpg

• 1. DDz Quorum
I was whispering evil threats.

I like it :)

You made some good points there Jim, IIRC Glenn has cleaned out all entries.

Don't know if a reboot of the router has been tried afterwards though.