The New Fire Dog

Kira

• 2. Administrators

Depends on which way around the hand is though. If the recipient of the gesture sees the underside of the fingers then yes, that's the peace sign but if they see the topside of the fingers then it's considered to mean what Rog said. Allegedly dates back to the battle of agincourt when the English archers showed their middle and index fingers as a sign of defiance to the French army due to their habit of cutting off the fingers of captured archers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allegedly dates back to the battle of agincourt when the English archers showed their middle and index fingers as a sign of defiance to the French army due to their habit of cutting off the fingers of captured archers.

Since I don't 'ave no Facebook I can't seem to see the vid but this does allow me to butt in here in an off-topic sort of way and say "Allegedly" is a very good word to use in relation to Agincourt.

A couple of years back I had to create a half-term project on Agincourt for nine year olds.  What became immediately apparent was how little factual information exists about the battle.  For a start it hardly registers on French historical consciousness and we don't really know for sure exactly when and where it took place, who was there, how long it lasted and what actually happened.  

The only reliable written sources are for the abnormal number - for a medieval battle - of French nobles who died sudden deaths around this date and which ones we carted off back to blighty for ransom.

Everything thing else is down to Shakespeare who was the Steven Speilberg of the sixteenth century and we know relatively bugger-all about him too!

I'll go back to sleep now............. :P