Help Need Info On New York

delta7

Anyone been to New York on holiday or perhaps one of our colonials   :abe: could help - Is DT still around on the forums? anyone got a contact for him?

We are going to NY for 6 days next month so any info, hints and tips on places to visit , things to do etc to make it an enjoyable holiday would be appreciated. Particularly interested in good places to eat for the family. Wife , two teenage sons and myself are going. 

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi Dave,

I went there with the wife for a long weekend for our twentith wedding anniversary.

I guess you have booked flights and hotel but if not check out the Metro Hotel, which was just round the corner from the Empire State Building, has a roof top bar, is only about 10 stories.(was rated as punching above its weight star wise when we went)

You also got breakfast included which a lot of New york hotels dont giive you.

We booked through british airways as a flight and hotel package

you can walk from ground zero to times square in a couple of hours

make a google map and put pins in the places you want to visit, that helps find a hotel (if not done already, if you have it will still help)

go into newark, less busy than jfk

do the empire state building early in the day, less busy

would recommend the city bus tours early in your stay as it then gives you an idea of where things are

bloomindales and fifth avenue for shops

go vist grand central station,

chrysler building you can no go up it as it is a working offic / apparment block but the 30's architecture is great (and it is an in and out visit so wont bore the kids)

if you hotel is within striking distance of a train station get the train from the airport as the roads do get packed, not good on a ticking meter and the fair was cheap

see times square at night, it is busy 24/7

i will try and dig out the other stuff i had, i would definatly like to go back.....

• 1. DDz Quorum

Spoke with my friend, and I do have one.  He again mentioned the 9 - 11 Museum, and Madison Square Garden, he's a NY Ranger fan, but its still an impressive structure.  He said Little Italy had the best and cheapest food.  Another thing they did was spent a nice day in Central Park.  They went to some plays and the best place to get tickets was in Times Square after 3pm for discounts on Broadway showings for that evening..  He said you'd have no problem seeing the place that sells the tickets.

He said  going to see the Statue of Liberty took so much time, lots and lots of security checks to get on the boat and onto the island.

Have a good time Dave, couldn't find anything on DoubleTap, his Email address shows,  doubletap2005@gmail.com    may still work.

• 1. DDz Quorum

oh yes the statue of liberty - if you are not bothered about going actually up to it you can take the staton island ferry for free - not much to do when you get there except come back but if it is sunny its a nice way to spend 90 minutes or so and it gives great picture oportunities of the statue and tyhe new york sky line form the harbour

my brother went round the imigration museum and he said that was really interesting

Myself and Mrs Bear went there last year for five days, could have done with longer as there is so much to take in.The Empire State building is good at night for the lights, there is an aircraft museum on board the aircraft carrier Intrepid beside pier 84  which has a space shuttle on its deck as well as the SR71 Blackbird and  Concorde parked on the dock beside it plus loads to see inside. The Rockefeller center is good for a high speed lift ride to the top and great views.

The American Museum of Natural History is definately worth a view but you will need the best part of a day to see it all, as Friar said visit Grand Cental its mind blowing and the 911 museum is a must, a water taxi ride is good, not quite as mad as the yellow cab ride LOL There is so much to see and do there so its on the bucket list to go again but for longer, have a great time when you go i know we did.