Can You Customize Game Controller Ids?

Snacko

I am thinking No...

I recently connected my Logitech F710 rumblepad to my computer a few weeks ago.  It runs on batteries, so it has this 'sleep' feature to save energy.  But sometimes it awakes and takes the place of my joystick or pedals and I have a problem.

So, I was looking at this program called JoyIDs that lets you assign controllers to specific Game Controller IDs.  It seems to work, as it saves the settings and always has them correct when I open it up.  But when I go into IL2, or Clod they are always in a different order.

So, I finally found this article that basically said that back in Windows 95 and older game devs used WinMM which used IDs, but now they use DirectInput which does not.  It sounds like controllers are ordered by which was installed first/last?  

Does anyone know if this is correct?  Am I fighting a loosing battle trying to control the order of my controllers (except for plugging them into my pc in order)?  If this is the case I just cannot have my rumblepad connected to my pc at all.

• 2. Administrators

I plug mine in in the same order each time since only the bodnar board is remembered by the system, the sidewinder and the quadrant will switch depending on the order in which they're connected.

in Win7 the game controllers control panel has an advanced option which allows you to assign the preferred controller for older games, this effectively is assigning the controlled ID I think, either way the Logitech profiler software gives the option to assign ID's to your devices.

Saitek doesn't do that. That link in my first post basically says directinput doesn't use those IDs. Game developers do what they want to get the controllers, but I think most today use directinput from directx and just get them in order they were plugged in.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 with Tapatalk 4.