Problem with Audio Hook up of Surround Sound

DoubleTap

Okay M8's, I've run into a little of a poser. Wonder if anyone can throw any illumination on it?

My new PC sound card (I went with the onboard audio for now) supports surround sound. In fact, it has separate outputs for the center, side and rear and woofer speakers, which I have never encountered before.

Now, I want to hoop the audio from the PC up to my surround sound system, but THAT only has a Left /Right input into it, and when I hook it up to any one of the outputs of the PC, I get sound, but also a distinct hum. Its not super loud, but its there. I do NOT get this hum when I hookup my laptop in the same exact way.

When I hook up regular desktop speakers (powered) I also do not get this hum, and the 3D audio does work fine on them.

So, the question is; why the hum on the SS system? Any ideas?

I don't know why but I think I can tell you how to fix it. (I'm like that about a lot of stuff btw!)

Look around the sound & audio devices in control panel.

Click on advanced to get to the window labelled 'play control'.

While playing some audio so you can heard the annoying hum make adjustments to the volume scales of everything here... and on the options-properties-recording tab as well... something here will be causing crossover interference and you can isolate it by turning down the volume and/or muting it if need be.

Not sure why but I bet this 'fixes' it.

Let me know.

Waldo,

Thanks for the tip. I am going to try it now, but I may have a bigger issue. The hum is NOT just when it hooked up to the SS as it turns out. It appears on desktops speakers and even headphones. The reason I did not catch it is because it only appears when certain applications are running. While simply on the desktop, there is not noise. When I start media center, the hum appears. When I start IL2, the loading screen there is no noise, but once the game is loaded up, each of the various screens has the hum/buzz, each at a unique pitch. I jump back to the desktop, noise disappears at the same time. Does this still sound like crossover, or something else? Much obliged...

Doubletap

UPDATE: Actually, while trying to do what you suggested, I noticed something weird while wearing headphones. Whenever something new is graphically added to the screen, I hear it. For example, if I got to the start button, when the menu opens up, I hear a buzz in my ear for second. When help pop-ups appear, I hear a very short buzz, like a pip. While sliding the sound level controls, I hear them as a low, rippling buzz, up and down. Somehow the graphic signals are bleeding into the audio. That would explain the loud buzz from IL2 I guess.

Well, Kudos to Dazza and Waldo, because they both had some idea how to address the hum, although it is so bad that it was only a partial solution.

Bottom line is that only by turning down the master desktop volume to 1 notch above 'low' was I able to mitigate the hum to non-aggravating levels. Unfortunately, it stayed at annoying levels because I knew it was there and could here it when there was noise (like engines) to cover it up. It also limited how loud I could make my sound for obvious reasons.

Talking to the Tech support guy only pissed me off, because he tried to tell me the problem was in the speakers after I told him that I had tried more than one pair, and headphones. I tried reinstalling the motherboard drivers as he suggested, and it did not fix it.

After firing off a PO'd email to Cyberpower, and threatening to return the thing, I actually got a rep to call me to address the issue. He offered to send me an audio card for free to install in order to solve the problem. I told him that as long as I got it soon, and it solved the issue, I would be happy with it.

I appreciate the help, guys. Hopefully this will be resolved by the end of the week. Thanks.

• 1. DDz Quorum
Just to follow up, the company sent the Yamaha audio card, and after installing it, the hums, buzzs and machine noises disappeared. YEAHHH!

Excellent :). Now I'll be able to hear you on TS when we attempt to solve that hosting problem!