Restored Zero

SkyPup

Yeah.....

I saw a Grumman Avenger sitting in a back yard in California when I was a kid. The guy had bought it from the local air national guard (or some such) for scrap. It was flyable when he got it (he said). He was just sure that the aluminum would be valuable someday.....I wonder what happened to it? I really hope that he didnt get around to cutting it up like he had planned.He had purchased it in the 60's sometime.....aaahhh to have several thousand dollars to burn in the late 1940's when they were scrapping military hardware right from the factory. My grandfather was in the recycling business back then. My grandma told me to bought a field of Sherman tanks once for the scrap iron....would have loved to have seen that.

Chances of finding a Zero sitting on drums today would probably be somewhere between slim and none since there was a concerted effort in the 60's and 70's to "clean up" pacific sites. Too bad, I'd love to fly one someday.