Sorry I didn't make it on Sunday ...

MarcoAviator

As a former controller, I can tell you that we much prefer to have you ask for flight following. When an aircraft is out tooling around with 1200 on the transponder, we can't be sure that you are even monitoring our frequency. After Sept 11th, I even had to go to the point to broadcast on the guard frequency to get an aircraft's attention that was getting too close to the protected airspace of the Maine Yankee nuclear power station. While no one ever busted that airspace while I was on position, it would have been a very bad thing for me if they had!

True it can get quite busy, and having to give VFR traffic alerts to someone requesting flight following can add to the workload, but it is no comparison to having and aircraft out there that I don't know the intentions of. Especially at altitudes higher than 5k.

Hope that didn't sound like a reprimand, just trying to give you a different perspective. In the past, working in Brunswick Maine, my airspace included 4 airports and in the summer and fall, there was no end to sightseeing flights on a clear day. By having the VFR guys check in with me, I would normally vector IFR aircraft around the largest groups of VFR flyers or slightly delay their descent (though not required), so I wouldn't be handing out traffic advisories every 3 seconds. I also greatly appreciated keeping VFR aircraft from flying through my approach corridors!

Keep your head on a swivel out there!

As a former controller

Oh good! Gotta question for ya then: would it have been ok for me to ask for flight following in this case? even if I am not leaving a 5x5nm square? even if I am just climbing as high as I can go?

What do I say? "Allentown approach, N12345 over Alexandria, on a sight-seeing flight, 3000 climbing 10000, will remain within 5 miles over Alexandria"

Would the controller be ok with that or would he laugh at my face? Or question why the heck do I want to climb that high to begin with?

I mean ... one thing is that you are climbing to your cruise altitude... but in this case I am just, literally sight seeing and there's really not much to see up there ... wouldn't they find it strange?

I only ask because I am used to fly with a "purpose" ... never flew just for "sightseeing" before.

Keep your head on a swivel out there!

Always, any altitude, any time of the day (or night) and no matter if I am flying VFR or IFR.

I've had aircraft request such things of me under the guise of a "test flight", but who really knows why they wanted it. To be honest, beyond the intentions of the aircraft, we don't really care why you want to do what your asking.

The phraseology you presented sounds just fine, and as you know, plain language works just a good and the verbatim book stuff.

I would probably add something along the lines of, "N1234, engine checks complete, initiating VFR descent", once you are ready to descend, so the controller will know to keep an eye on what's around you. There is a fine line between broadcasting too much, and not enough, but I think in this situation, depending on what kind of piper you're flying (from the wing pic, looks like a Cherokee or Warrior) and whether it's turbocharged or not, it's going to take you a while to get to 10k. In that time, the controller can be distracted easily, so it's nice to focus his attention on you again when you are getting ready to descend.

I've had aircraft request such things of me under the guise of a "test flight", but who really knows why they wanted it. To be honest, beyond the intentions of the aircraft, we don't really care why you want to do what your asking.

The phraseology you presented sounds just fine, and as you know, plain language works just a good and the verbatim book stuff.

I would probably add something along the lines of, "N1234, engine checks complete, initiating VFR descent", once you are ready to descend, so the controller will know to keep an eye on what's around you. There is a fine line between broadcasting too much, and not enough, but I think in this situation, depending on what kind of piper you're flying (from the wing pic, looks like a Cherokee or Warrior) and whether it's turbocharged or not, it's going to take you a while to get to 10k. In that time, the controller can be distracted easily, so it's nice to focus his attention on you again when you are getting ready to descend.

thanks for the tips. Will do that.

It's a PA28-180 with "Hershey Bars".

Better pics ... here:

P1010010.jpg

P1010011.jpg

and oh yeah ... that's me.

Very interesting stuff guys. Marco, if I recall correctly blocked air space started at something like 9,500 ft. Is that still the number or has my memory completely gone?

I used to fly Cherokee 140's and 180's with a wing leveler. Is the 180 designation for your aircarft 180 hp?

Well, in the US Alpha space starts at 18000. So, in theory, I can climb, uncontrolled and without talking to anyone, under VFR all the way to 17999 ... then Alpha starts and you need to be IFR up there (meaning, IFR certified and under an IFR flight plan).

I know that other countries have it different ... "transition levels" I think they are called and they start anywhere between 6000 and 10000 depending on the country.

Yeh my cherokee has 180hp ... but it's a heavy bird. It's 1600 empty and it grosses at 2500 which means that on a hot summer day I gotta wrestle it off the ground a little (if I have 3 people on board ... 4 people, forget it. it won't even lift off).

• 1. DDz Quorum
You still need to see the chaplain for penance, tho: see Frior-one for your punishment

Any man that can just jump in a plane and go for a spin like i would jump in a car does not need punishment,

sir, you have my full admiration!:notworthy:

That's one of the best looking early PA-28s I've ever seen. By that I mean it looks very very well maintained. With the Hershey bar wing it would have to be a late 70's model, right?

yep. 1972 ... it's a 180G. It suffered hail damage 4 years ago, and we had it repainted (and re-skinned in some sections). So it looks brand new.

Oh and it's got a new panel with a big-ass garmin (480) in it (that's more recent ... last year). Yeah ... I can't complain. I had it for 3 years already (can't believe it's been that long). I am so used to flying it, I can set it up for landing, takeoff, cruise, etc. without looking at the gauges ... just by feel.

You still need to see the chaplain for penance, tho: see Frior-one for your punishment

Any man that can just jump in a plane and go for a spin like i would jump in a car does not need punishment,

sir, you have my full admiration!:notworthy:

Thank you sir!

Sadly ... the time is coming for me to part ways with my lovely plane ...

I am going for my commercial license and I will soon need to get acquainted with more powerful tools of the trade (multi engines and turboprops) ... I will need to be spending my time flying other birds ... so it won't make sense for me to keep this plane around if I am not going to use it much anymore (it ain't cheap to own a plane and 3 years of ownership have been a bit tough on my finances). It was great while it lasted.

Time to make aviation pay off a little bit, even if still just as a hobby.

And I plan to start building my own bird by next year ... I need to decide between a Titan T-51 or an RV8 (taildragger of course). Time to go for something SPEEDY.

Hello Marco, welcome to the dd's....if I haven't welcomed you already.....

Ach flying, always has been a passion of me (prop's)....closest I could get was building models...(or flying this great sim) or take a snif of one up close while I was in the army....

My only flying experience (besides a dull airbus to Spain) was in the army as a passenger up front in a helicopter (allouette II)

I felt like a bird, since the cockpit was totally made out of plexiglass...best 3 days of my life