Trackir 5 Question.

Tribunus

I finally decided to retire my TrackIR 2 and purchased a TrackIR 5.

It arrived in the mail today, and its serial number is fortunately not among the group that was reported to be experiencing problems.

It did not come with a CD, just a note to download the latest software from trackir.com.

My plan is to sort it all out over the weekend.

But I do have a question that I’m hoping someone will help me with.

When I open the Ultra Pack JSGME Mod enable, I am confronted with a vast array of choices for Six Degrees of Freedom.

Starting from the top, I’ve got:

00_6DOF_LookAround

00_6DOF_Tracker_2_0_sHr

00_6DOF_XY_Axis

Exe_128MG_6DOFTiR

Exe_256MB_6DOFTiR

Exe_384MB_6DOFTiR

Exe_512MB_6DOFTiR

Which one of these do I use? Or do I need to use some combination of them?

Also, can anyone offer me any helpful hints on setting it up and developing a decent profile?

Thanks for the help. :icon_farao:

You want either the 00_6DOF_Tracker_2_0_sHr, which is the standard 6DoF mod, The ones such as 512 MB are combining the 6DoF mod with a mod that unlocks greater RAM use, as Il2 is coded for 256MB RAM use. I would suggest using the 00_6DOF_Tracker_2_0_sHr to start with , which enables 6DoF capability.

As Jedi said, the 00_6DOF_Tracker_2_0_sHr is a fine place to start. The Default profile is good too, as there's less need to adjust the curves with the more sensitive camera. Charvel's profile for IL-2, for example, was pretty good for TiR 3 but is a non-starter with the 5 software.

• 2. Administrators

I've uploaded my track ir 5 profile which is built for 6dof in mind, into the main lobby of our teamspeak server if you want it, its called originally 'fruitbats' as some others were asking about it a couple of weeks ago.

Note, its designed to be used with 'precision' being turned ON.

As to which one to use, make sure you only have one of them at any time activated.

I'd try the Exe_512MB_6DOFTiR first, and in the unlikely event you have any issues, go to the 00_6DOF_Tracker_2_0_sHr.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

For simplicity sake (since I’m pretty simple) let me start off by using 00_6DOF_Tracker_2_0_sHr and the Default profile.

Then once I’ve gained some experience, I may experiment with Exe_512MB_6DOFTiR

Do you recommend that download the 5.0 Final B or the 5.1 beta 03?

Fruitbat, I tried finding the profile that you mentioned in the main lobby of our TS server, but all I could find was a link to a YouTube movie of you shooting down half the Red Air Force. Perhaps, I’m looking in the wrong place.

I’ve finally gotten it to work fairly decently. But it was a frustrating process.

I was trying to use the stock “Smooth” setting, but my view was extremely erratic.

Moving my head would either just barely move the view at all, or it would suddenly jump all over the place. Like suddenly looking at aircraft seat or all the way vertically and to the rear and it was totally unpredictable.

Finally I switched it to Camera View trying to figure out what was going on and discovered the problem.

I had place the TrackClip on my NaturalPoint hat. Apparently the sewn on reflector on the bill of the hat was confusing the system. When I opened Camera View, the sewn on reflector and the left and right TrackClip reflectors were being tracked, but not the top TrackClip reflector. If I turned my head to the left, the thing would track the sewn on reflector and the top and right TrackClip reflector. If I turned my head to the right it I got just the opposite. Apparently the system will only track three reflectors and a fourth one was confusing the system.

Once I place the TrackClip on just a regular hat, it settled down and started working as I had hoped it would.

Thanks for the help Gentlemen.

I’ve finally gotten it to work fairly decently. But it was a frustrating process.

I was trying to use the stock “Smooth” setting, but my view was extremely erratic.

Moving my head would either just barely move the view at all, or it would suddenly jump all over the place. Like suddenly looking at aircraft seat or all the way vertically and to the rear and it was totally unpredictable.

Finally I switched it to Camera View trying to figure out what was going on and discovered the problem.

I had place the TrackClip on my NaturalPoint hat. Apparently the sewn on reflector on the bill of the hat was confusing the system. When I opened Camera View, the sewn on reflector and the left and right TrackClip reflectors were being tracked, but not the top TrackClip reflector. If I turned my head to the left, the thing would track the sewn on reflector and the top and right TrackClip reflector. If I turned my head to the right it I got just the opposite. Apparently the system will only track three reflectors and a fourth one was confusing the system.

Once I place the TrackClip on just a regular hat, it settled down and started working as I had hoped it would.

Thanks for the help Gentlemen.

Ha, yeah, I did the very same with the clip on the original NP cap.

I'm not a great believer in too many gizmos - but I'm seriously pleased with the latest addition to my flightgear; which is the Trackclip Pro thingy ...

I probably wouldn't have bought it straight out, but a buddy of mine bought an extra unit by mistake and gave me the spare as a present. This is the 3-LED clip that fits neatly onto your headphones, and TrackIR really benefits from the accuracy this system brings.

Just a thought

B