Skyraider Loadouts

Dino

Hey Guys,

It apparently has been out some time but thanks to Jedi I have discovered the Skyraider. It came in a download of a few new aircraft and other things that instal as a package. This aircraft for me is awesome. It carried more loadout than a flying Fortress and has some nice weapons. Some are new so I have described below as close as I can the weapons it carries. Of course they will not work exactly as in real life but hey....its a game....right? I love this plane so much I have built a coop mission and an MDS mission based loosely on the first attacks using this aircraft in KOREA. I am going to build a few more but if you download and instal the addon then you can fly this when I host these missions.

The single engine Skyraider had a heavier maximum external store capacity (7,500 lbs.) than the four engine B-17 Flying Fortress (4,800 lbs.)

The Skyraider had four M-3 20mm cannons, two in each wing. Each cannon held 180 rounds. The rate of fire was a nominal 700 rounds per minute (12 rounds per second) per cannon. The cannons could be fired in pairs (inboard or outboard pairs) or all four at once.

The 20mm ammo was percussion primed similar to a conventional small calibre weapon. A firing pin struck the primer with sufficient force to discharge the round. This in contrast to more modern electric primed ammo which allowed higher rates of fire. The M-61 20mm cannon used in more modern aircraft had a rate of fire approaching 6,000 rounds per minute (100 rounds per second).

Percussion primed ammo caused misfeed and jam problems both due to its reliability (old Korean was vintage ammo) and probably old equipment. It was a relatively rare occurrence to return from a mission without at least one jammed gun.

AD-4 Variant.

HVAR the HVAR rocket carried a 21-kg (46-lb) high-explosive warhead. Range of 5000 yd

NAPALM Gasoline mixed with a thickening agent to form a jelly.

TINY TIM ROCKET a 150 lb (68 kg) high explosive warhead, with a maximum range of 1,640 yards.

MK 13 TORPEDO 600LB Warhead,

MK 34 TORPEDOES 116LB Warhead.

A-1H Variant

LAU-32/A 7 TUBE 2.75 Rocket Launcher Pod.

MK 81 100 LB Bomb.

MK 82 500 LB Bomb.

Mk 83 1000 LB Bomb.

ZUNI 5 inch 20 50 LB Rocket (Also used in close air to air combat)

MK 24 FLARE Phosphorous parachute flare.

MK 7 NUCLEUR BOMB

BLU-1 NAPALM

BLU-2 NAPALM

A-1J VARIANT

CBU-24 665 Anti personnel Fragmentation Bomblets per pod.

CBU-25 132 Anti personnel Fragmentation Bomblets per pod.

SUU-11 MINIGUN PODS 1500 rounds of 7.62 ammunition,

LAU-3A 19 TUBE 2.75 ROCKET LAUNCHER POD.

LAU-10 Same basically as the LAU-3.

M-117 750 LB BOMB.

Hope this helps a little. <S> DINO.

Thanks JEDI I think the quantity in the 25 is correct?

Correct, the CBU-25 was the replacement of the CBU-14, according to my notes. due to the -14's high failure rate. However, cluster bombs up until the 2000's had failure rates between 30-70%. Mostly due to the mass-produced natures of the submunitions, the inherent flaws of the designs and less focus on the consequences of their use. The piezoelectric fuzes were quite unreliable, along with the problems involved with deployment from the main canister. Damned effective piece of kit though. If you want a large company to regiment sized force neatly destroyed, the CBUs are the way forward.

I won't post my dissertation on the subject, promise.

Thanks Mate, yes from my studies it does appear carrier takeoff,s were restricted. I have read about boosted catapults being used and 5000LB loadouts off carriers, in any case even with these loadouts this is one bad aircraft LOL. :goodjob: