New-Build Fw190A-8 Crash

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

I can confirm the new-build FW190A-8 which ditched in the Med a few days back was the one which stole the show so effectively at Legends last year. Fortunately the pilot was rescued unhurt although the aircraft is believed to be a write-off.

The remainder of the news floored me completely. In an interview later, the pilot said that the crash was due to engine failure and then went on to say that it was the twelfth time the same problem had happened! I'm staggered that someone would continue to fly an aircraft which such a history of problems without a full investigation into the 'why'.

Jabo

I can confirm the new-build FW190A-8 which ditched in the Med a few days back was the one which stole the show so effectively at Legends last year. Fortunately the pilot was rescued unhurt although the aircraft is believed to be a write-off.

The remainder of the news floored me completely. In an interview later, the pilot said that the crash was due to engine failure and then went on to say that it was the twelfth time the same problem had happened! I'm staggered that someone would continue to fly an aircraft which such a history of problems without a full investigation into the 'why'.

Jabo

I think the German airframe body is rejecting the Russian organ, er... I mean engine.

Well, I guess BG won't be buying one, after all. I suppose he'll have to settle for a used spitfire or P-51 since he's already built the airfield and all. ^-^

Jabo

I think the German airframe body is rejecting the Russian organ, er... I mean engine.

Well, I guess BG won't be buying one, after all. I suppose he'll have to settle for a used spitfire or P-51 since he's already built the airfield and all. ^-^

hmm .... i've heard that engine is Chinese.

• 2. Administrators

Not sure on the engine - Flugwerke say that they are using the (Russian) Shvetsov Asch 82 "T" (it says here), but that they're built in China which would make them a Huosai HS-7 (licence-built copy) - Not that that makes things any clearer. lol

Jabo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2. Administrators

Update as of 16/06/2010 - the aircraft has now been lifted from the bay where it ditched and looks remarkably good all things considered, apparently it now needs to be examined for corrosion caused by the salt water and a decision on rebuild to static/flight/scrap will be made later.

Jabo