Win 7 install

Perfesser

Anyone have it?

It's been so long since I've done this ....

I bought and hooked up another HD. It now shows as my D drive.

To install Win 7 on it I:

Disconnect from internet

1 Reboot and set the DVD drive as 1st in the boot priority via BIOS.(set bios to defaults? no OC going on now)

2 Reboot with the Win7 installation disk in, it should boot and ask what drive to format?

3 Select the new (empty) drive and let it go?

4 Its only 150G, I see no need to partition.

Should I format the drive while it's still drive D through XP? (my computer, right click on D drive and one option is format)

NTFS?

allocation unit size?

Once it's installed can I boot off one drive or the other by changing boot priority in BIOS regularly? There's always a ton of stuff I forget.

Like having a firewall and browser ready to install before formatting.

Is the Win 7 firewall any good?

• 1. DDz Quorum

Works pretty much as you stated.

1. Change boot order - DVD #1 HD #2

2. Boot off Win 7

3. Setup routine gives opportunity to select drive (after choosing Custom Install option not 'Upgrade').

4. Format drive using 7

5. You will get a boot choice when done - 7 or earlier operating system.

6. Your system will still be booting off the original C drive - so disk option in BIOS invalid ;)

7. Win 7 Firewall does look much better, the best yet.

Avira works with 7 - ZoneAlarm does too, but I have encountered IPV6 issues that could be down to ZoneAlarm (IPV6 is required to home network).

• 1. DDz Quorum

7 will use your current boot disk, no need to modify BIOS.

7 will modify your boot to give you an OS selection.

Unless you do change boot options in BIOS of course - and I would counsel against that.

(the 'disk option' I refer to is whatever your BIOS calls boot disk priority).

• 2. Administrators

What he said...Furthermore, I can recommend Avira - it's spot on with Win 7.

I've split one of my 500GB drives into three separate partitions, so XP, Fester and Win 7 have their own space and the MS Boot Manager has handled that without a hiccup. Linux is also floating about on a spare 160GB drive while I get to grips with Grub, so I can have a four-way boot option. I've retained XP purely for IL2 and one or two other games that Vista and Win 7 can't. Vista is a waste of time and I'll probably remove it at some point as I use Win 7 pretty much exclusively outside Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday

Hmm, nothing happened.

Funny though. I can see the SATA drive I installed in "my computer" yet I don't see it in the BIOS boot priority list (not formatted?)

It just booted off the usual SATA drive. I have both plugged in to boot disk slots (slot 1 and 2 are master "boot" connections. 3 and 4 are slave data disk slots)

Just for fun I clicked the install program while in explorer and it gave me the "not a valid Win32 application", that kinda makes sense with XP32 bit.

Did I botch the DVD image burn? Should I try formatting the disk first through XP?

Maybe I should unplug the main drive with the XP install and try it with just the blank drive?

Just a noob thinking out loud here..........

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hmm, nothing happened.

Funny though. I can see the SATA drive I installed in "my computer" yet I don't see it in the BIOS boot priority list (not formatted?)

The only boot priority list change you need to make is to boot off DVD, don't get hung up on needing to change HD priorities.

The Windows boot loader will take care of it for you, and give you a choice of 7 or XP when completed.

It just booted off the usual SATA drive. I have both plugged in to boot disk slots (slot 1 and 2 are master "boot" connections. 3 and 4 are slave data disk slots)

Just for fun I clicked the install program while in explorer and it gave me the "not a valid Win32 application", that kinda makes sense with XP32 bit.

Did I botch the DVD image burn? Should I try formatting the disk first through XP?

On of three things may have occurred (or possibly 2 of 3):

a. You did not burn the DVD as an image, and it is not bootable.

What burning software are you using?

ImgBurn is a freebie that will burn a DVD image.

b. You have not correctly set your DVD drive as first boot device.

c. You did not press a key when prompted to boot off DVD

Maybe I should unplug the main drive with the XP install and try it with just the blank drive?

Just a noob thinking out loud here..........

Nope, don't do that!

Otherwise you will need to use the boot device selection choice/priority your BIOS offers.

I suspect your burning software allowed you to open the ISO file for 7, and burn the contents to DVD.

As opposed to burning a direct image/copy/clone of the iso..

I did use ImgBurn (for the first time) and followed their instructions for an ISO image.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?s=50a34d0125cdada9f94edf4397eb202c&showtopic=11194

Obviously I missed something.

I didn't get a message to boot off the DVD but I'm sure I have the DVD drive as first in boot priority.

Thanks for the help. I'll go through it again and check carefully.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Did you get a file from Microsoft called something like:

en_windows_7_ultimate_rc_x86_dvd_349010.iso

If so then burning that should be a snap, 2nd image on Imgburn forum you posted has a 'Write image file to disk' button.

That would be the one to use, I don't have/use Imgburn but would think clicking that will prompt for you to point it to an iso file.

• 2. Administrators

7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso

That is the file name.

There are detailed instructions on their site. I must have missed a step.

That's the 64-bit version you have there m8, was that the one you wanted?

Yup. We have multi core processors cheap enough to be mainstream now.

Processor speed doesn't look like it's going much past 3mhz. The only performance gain is going to be through spreading stuff across multiple cores.

Years back I got an Athalon64 in anticipation of Longhorn, what a waste of $ that was. Things seem to be sorted out much better now.

Might as well get on it.

• 1. DDz Quorum

7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_retail_ultimate-grc1culxfrer_en_dvd.iso

That is exactly the one I have, from Microsoft TechNet.

Should burn no problem, I did both that and the 32Bit one without issue.

• 2. Administrators

Don't think so m8, you don't unzip an iso in order to burn it onto a disk. ImgBurn takes the iso file and creates the disk file structure from that. I think this may be the reason for the problem you had.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Ahh ok thanks.

So I just made myself yet another Memorex coaster.

I give that a whirl.

'Fraid so m8

I'll be up for a while tonight having just banjaxed my game install again (I swear I don't do this for fun...). So I'm mid-Quazi at present and typing this on the laptop. I can make myself available via MSN Messenger or the like if you need assistance - drop me a PM

Jabo

So i hit a key to boot from CD

Windows is loading files and completes and an error.

Windows failed to start hardware or software changes may have etc etc

insert Win disk and hit repair etc

FILE \windows\sytem32\boot\winload.exe

STATUS 0xc0000001

INFO entry cannot be loaded application is missing or corrupt

Hit enter anyway and

Choose OS to start but the only option I have is Windows Setup [EMS enabled]

enter on that and I go back to the first "windows failed to start" screen

enter again and back to the "choose OS" screen where the only other option far below is the Memory Diagnostic tool.

That runs to 100% with no errors.

Exit all that and the drive with XP loads fine.

The only thing I can think of is the download is corrupt or something is wrong with the HDD itself.

I'll download the file again and add to my collection of Memorex coasters

I do have one other option after that.

I still have a third HD. A 36G Raptor.

If Win7 loads on that drive then the new HD is defective.

• 2. Administrators

So i hit a key to boot from CD

Windows is loading files and completes and an error.

Windows failed to start hardware or software changes may have etc etc

insert Win disk and hit repair etc

FILE \windows\sytem32\boot\winload.exe

STATUS 0xc0000001

INFO entry cannot be loaded application is missing or corrupt

Hit enter anyway and

Choose OS to start but the only option I have is Windows Setup [EMS enabled]

enter on that and I go back to the first "windows failed to start" screen

enter again and back to the "choose OS" screen where the only other option far below is the Memory Diagnostic tool.

That runs to 100% with no errors.

Exit all that and the drive with XP loads fine.

The only thing I can think of is the download is corrupt or something is wrong with the HDD itself.

I'll download the file again and add to my collection of Memorex coasters

I do have one other option after that.

I still have a third HD. A 36G Raptor.

If Win7 loads on that drive then the new HD is defective.

While you're downloading that, I'd run chkdsk from the command prompt (Start-Run-cmd or Start-Programs-Accessories-Command Prompt) to verify the drive's in working order. Type in 'chkdsk d: /f' (no quotes) where d: is the letter of the drive you're trying to install Win7 on.

There are a number of free HDD checking tools floating around on the web, I'll have a search through my collection to see if I've got one for your drive.

A corrupt download would be my guess though.

• 1. DDz Quorum

so wrong...!!!!!!!!

Don't unzip it!!

It is an ISO file, think of it as an electronic representation of the physical DVD media.

This includes the boot sector area, which will not be written if you first extract it - unzipping merely makes available the contents rather than the format!

Your burning software will use this to make an exact copy of the original media, so point Imgburn to the iso file only then burn and you should be good to go.

• 2. Administrators

so wrong...!!!!!!!!

Don't unzip it!!

It is an ISO file, think of it as an electronic representation of the physical DVD media.

This includes the boot sector area, which will not be written if you first extract it - unzipping merely makes available the contents rather than the format!

Your burning software will use this to make an exact copy of the original media, so point Imgburn to the iso file only then burn and you should be good to go.

'S OK Rog,