Secondary rig problem

Jediteo

Our other computer, a Fujitsu Siemens tower, went bust last night during the thunderstorm probably. No other damages to any other piece of equipment. The computer when turned on will not display anything on the monitor. The monitor works fine, connected it to my laptop.

I have tried clearing the CMOS memory, and trying the onboard videocard (do I need to remove the G-card for this) My parents are quite eager to get inside it, as they need their budget thingies. The computer turn on, with all the fans running, and it even starts without pressing the on button. As soon as the power cord goes in it starts. Really wierd. Could it be the GFX-card gone wrong?

Our other computer, a Fujitsu Siemens tower, went bust last night during the thunderstorm probably. No other damages to any other piece of equipment. The computer when turned on will not display anything on the monitor. The monitor works fine, connected it to my laptop.

I have tried clearing the CMOS memory, and trying the onboard videocard (do I need to remove the G-card for this) My parents are quite eager to get inside it, as they need their budget thingies. The computer turn on, with all the fans running, and it even starts without pressing the on button. As soon as the power cord goes in it starts. Really wierd. Could it be the GFX-card gone wrong?

• 2. Administrators

Possibly the PSU as that's the first component hit by a surge. Try completely unplugging the PSU inside the machine (all connectors including mainboard and drives) and then with the mains on, briefly short out the green and one of the black wires on the mobo connector. If you hear the PSU fan start up, the problem is likely to be elsewhere (probably the mainboard), otherwise replace the PSU.

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Possibly the PSU as that's the first component hit by a surge. Try completely unplugging the PSU inside the machine (all connectors including mainboard and drives) and then with the mains on, briefly short out the green and one of the black wires on the mobo connector. If you hear the PSU fan start up, the problem is likely to be elsewhere (probably the mainboard), otherwise replace the PSU.

Jabo

I put one lead of the multimeter on the green lead (in the mobo-connection bus) and the other on one of the black, it said 5.0 but no movement, so I guess Thor stole my PSU.

I put one lead of the multimeter on the green lead (in the mobo-connection bus) and the other on one of the black, it said 5.0 but no movement, so I guess Thor stole my PSU.