Can You Help?

Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Hi guys. Normally I'm not in favour of this sort of thing, but as some of you may know, I'm personally involved.

The project to return Avro Vulcan XH558 to airworthy condition which succeeded in such magnificent form last year is in serious financial trouble due in part to the credit crunch amongst other things. The long and the short of this is that unless significant additional funding is found either through a major backer, or public generosity or both within weeks (days?) XH558 will be grounded - for good.

If you would lke to help (and I stress the if), please visit the website here. The pledge details are on the main page.

Thank you for your time.

~S~ Jabo

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

As long as they dont cut the spars or let it rust to death, it can always be restored again....if it's properly housed inside. I wish I could have seen it, but I know from experience that it's tuff to keep such large planes in service at museums. I was part of a small museum once that flew the only C-119 in the airshow circuit-used money for gas.

• 2. Administrators

WE'VE DONE IT!! Nearly...

Below is an excerpt from the website

----

Vulcan now truly "The People's Aircraft"

Thousands of pledges provide a future for the Vulcan

One month ago, the Vulcan to the Sky Trust (VTST) had to announce that the prospects of seeing Vulcan XH558, the world's only flying Vulcan, ever flying again were looking very poor as the result of the lack of cash, and that notices had had to be given to its employees that their jobs would end on Friday 6th March

With the launch of a Pledge Campaign to raise £1million, VTST based its future on the public's affection for the Vulcan and their desire to see it fly.

As the deadline of the end of today approaches, the Pledge Campaign has this morning (11.00am) passed £956,835, pledged by over 9,821 supporters, and so has excellent prospects of passing its goal of £1million imminently.

This is the third time in seven years that the future of the Vulcan in flight has been saved by the support of thousands of members of the public, making XH558 "The People's Aircraft". Never has one historic aircraft owed so much to so many!

Sponsors provide breathing space

On their own, pledges can't solve the Trust's immediate cash problem, because they each need now to be converted into cash donations. The Trust is therefore very grateful to its sponsors, Aerobytes Ltd and Judd Power, who have today committed sufficient cash to keep the Trust going for another month, allowing time for the pledges to be redeemed.

As the result, VTST is delighted to announce that it is able to continue its activities on a more secure financial footing, and that the prospects of seeing the Vulcan fly in 2009 are now good.

Supporters led the way forward

For the past month, supporters of the Vulcan have been tireless in their fundraising activities, ranging from the cross-country Vulcan Scramble, to "Pledgathon" events across the UK. VTST is enormously grateful to all the members of the Vulcan to the Sky Club for their help.

Inspiring the Young

There are well over 10 million young people who have never seen the Vulcan in flight. Following the success of the Pledge Campaign, these youngsters now have an opportunity to experience this inspirational "once seen, never forgotten" sight.

Because we cannot assume that all the pledges will be honoured, we are asking the the public to continue to pledge financial support, either through our website www.vulcantothesky.orghttp:// or by phone to our office on 0116 247 8145. We have demonstrated that even the smallest pledge helps, because it is people in their thousands who make the difference.

Robert Pleming

6th March 2009

----

And on a personal note - Thank you.

~S~ Jabo

• 2. Administrators

Oh, just a couple of other things - even if you can't afford to donate (not an unusual situation), you can still make a difference by either joining the VTST club, or signing the online petition, details of which are available at the website (see first post)

~S~ Jabo

I just saw this aircraft in the Jame's Bond movie Thunderball, where the evil Spectre gives this guy a face lift to make him look like the pilot of this aircraft so they can hijack it and land it in the ocean and steal the nuclear warheads!

• 2. Administrators

You are quite right m8, xh558 was the Vulcan used as at the time she was the official RAF display aircraft. If you ever get the chance to visit her at home (Bruntingthorpe near Leicester) you will also see the big model that was also used in the film. One of the reasons the pledge target was met was the mobilization of the 007 fans around the world as well as the aviation enthusiasts.

~S~ Jabo