Help - Fixed, Solution inside.

Knight

ok after some searching on UBi i found someone else with purple textures, and he said he fixed it by doing the following

"under IL-2/1946 graphics options, ticked "Use Hardware Shaders"; changed "Effects lighting" from "normal" to "enhanced" and changed water setting from "1" to "2" and ... purple textures gone!!"

Problem is, i dont see enhanced effect lighting at all..id love to try out what he did to see if it works.

FIXED!!!!!

it was the Specular setting, it was Specular=2 but after much searching around and understanding the lighting i changed it to Specular=1 and it works...all that for one pigging setting, im not amused lol..

Massive thanks to everyone that helped and suggested things, it was a massive help indeed.

Blue No.20 coming to your screen soon :D

• 1. DDz Quorum

Nice one Knight!

Now if I feel the urge to use Vista I know how to fix it, curious that the XP 64 8.12 drivers don't do this!

Hey Knight,

I don't think this will help your "purple haze". But if you find your card is running a little hot, you can speed up its fan by following this:

Massive huge snip (not paid by the word here M8

• 1. DDz Quorum

Sorry overlooked posting this earlier Knight..

Your Xi-Fi sound card has no acceleration enabled, it should handle full hardware acceleration without breaking a sweat..

Also got this response on UBI forums, not tried it yet:

Posted Tue January 20 2009 15:24

yo, I had some glitches with my ATi 4870 with cat 8.11, 8.10 and 8.9 (I think 8.9 had the glitch, but its hard to recall now)

To fix it for me, I had to change the ATI catalyst settings to "High Quality", or "Quality" rather than using custom settings for the AA, AF, Mip mapping, etc. Glitch stopped, and IL-2 sure looked a lot better.

My glitch was a bit different as well, had to do with the ground textures looking like I was on acid. Or was I on acid? I can't remember now.

Stingray

Sorry overlooked posting this earlier Knight..

Your Xi-Fi sound card has no acceleration enabled, it should handle full hardware acceleration without breaking a sweat..

funny you should say that, i thought it sounded different, but running dxidag and checking the sound tabs i dont have a bar to change it like i did on XP.

Heres an update for ya just incase anyone else gets this..i noticed someone on ubizoo said the ati 8.12's opengl is porked, and that we should go back to the June release...so i downloaded the 8.6's and ive installed those, IL2 now runs perfectly as it used to, full everything, and no glitches or purple colours and its actually alot smoother.

So B16 if ya reading this, your gauge problem might be solved by using these, its worth a shot, ive also not noticed any slow downs in any other sim (FSX-Lockon-BlackShark)

• 1. DDz Quorum

Well do you know what, my card isnt supported by them either, but guess what, it works perfectly in everything ive tried so far.

I'm amazed...and will give it a go, didn't think they would install as the id of the card would have not been recognised.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I'm learning!

give it a try and let me know, as it does appear the opengl is totally messed up with the latest drivers

Hmm hang about here, if these 8.6's work perfectly, could it be the opengl.dll, so would grabbing the opengl from these and using it with the 8.12's work? this is way over my head and im thinking out real loud here

I dont know any other games that i play that use opengl hence why i thought the above may work while keeping the uptodate 8.12 directx drivers in place.

Infact im trying the above right now, ill reply rather than edit the results, so it brings it to attention.

B16, you are my saving grace...Ok earlier in this thread you said about using a different opengl driver, well at the time i had no idea what version of the opengl would work correctly...but with my recent findings the 8.6's work, i set about grabbing the opengl from that package, doing what you said, and dropping into il2....and im now using 8.12's with the 8.6 opengl.dll in the il2 folder, and its working 100% not a single hiccup...You sir are a legend.

And to make it easier for you if you want to try and see if this solves your problem, heres the dll

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hmm.

I gelled out and used your dll with XP64 Doh! Realised and grabbed the XP64 version to test..

Curiously this work around doesn't work with my card unfortunately, when I start IL2 the opening screen is blank but loading progress (in red) shows fine.

Menu appears (still no background image) and system is clearly struggling as mouse is very slow to respond.

Me thinks there is something about the 4870 architecture that does not play well with the 8.6 OGL, yet your 4850 is fine :(

Back to the drawing board whilst I await the next Cats..

hmm, thats strange indeed, ill have another think aswell and let you know if i come up with something.

actually after really putting it through its paces, it doesnt like me going anywhere near the ground as it gets all stuttery and horrible, think ill have to run it in DX mode as its the only mode that works and ill take the frame rate hit