Wed Night

Shadow

• 1. DDz Quorum
What's the difference between 56k and ISDN, I was told the ISDN settings where the best?

The ISDN setting was quoted at some point, however 56K is probably better for us as several squad members are on dial up.

To recap my understanding of the theory:

The network speed setting dictates packet/stream size.

If set too high the server has to receive and action a data stream that will result in data being lost, and then needing to request a re-send from the sending client.

This extra processing will have a knock-on 'Domino' effect to all connected clients.

When the upload speed (client) matches the download speed (server) then data is processed in a timely fashion.

Dividing the servers connection upload speed by the maximum number of clients desired will give a figure, in kbs, that is then set in the network speed dialogue on both server and client and must match.

Failing to do that can and will result in clients swamping the server with data it cannot process, and it will need to request a re-send that will result in the warping and lagging we so love.

A single mis-configured client can cause warping for ALL on the server too, but this will be of a minimal nature and will impact mostly the client involved (and whoever is on his 6 at the time :lol:).

Rather than start at ISDN or higher I think 56K is a good starting point, and I reckon it will also be the magic number for us as it falls comfortably under the division result for 32 players on an upload of 250kbs (having a little head room on this figure allows for the minute amount of traffic TS consumes and any potential variation in the upload speed).

I stress again that this is my theory based on the little I have been able to glean from reading a few posts from Sparx, the admin/owner of Warclouds server.

Thankfully it's free for us to try, and as we are a patient lot I'm sure we can get this right :)

As to whether or not we communicate it correctly......actually once a quorum has been arrived at I can send a global email to all with instructions :)

Two or three of us commented on the spawn lag decrease last night on the DF, and also the very speedy mission loads.

Sadly I could not stay around too long last night, I hope that smoothness continued.

• 1. DDz Quorum

i am hoping to fly tonight (any one hosting?)

i will set in il2 setup my connection to 56k. do i need to adjust the [net] setting in the conf file also? iirc in one one daves postings from sparks isdn had a net setting of 8000 what is the setting for 56k or does il2setup take care of it?