Pentium Xeon dual processor computer?

Deputy

I was wondering if anyone has any input on a Pentium Xenon Dual processor computer? I am looking at one with this equipment:

HP XW8200 Dual 3.4GHz|4GB RAM|250GB HD|nVidia NVS 285 video card.

I know the hard drive is too small (and it's an IDE), and what's interesting is this comp can take the Windows XP Pro 64bit operating system. So I can install unreal amounts of RAM (up to 16 gig and it IS recognized in Win XP Pro 64bit). Not sure how IL-2 and other games will run in a 64bit system. The video card also needs to be tossed. I just wondered if you guys had heard anything for or against this kind of system.

Yeah, we have most of servers at my work running on Pentium Xeon processors. So I'm surprised they now have moved in to the Home PC market.

I think the Xeon processors have more inbuilt cache than normal/equivalent processors. But I'd have to check on that more.

Yes, they are dual Xenon processors. It's a used tower/workstation comp. That's why it's equipped like it is. I just wondered if it would be compatible with regular applictions and games and offer a dramatic gain over a single processor? I've found out that Windows XP Pro 64 bit is a big pain in the neck to get working. Not many companies offer drivers for the 64 bit operating system and 32 bit drivers won't work. So the idea of gobs of RAM is shot down. Only real benefit would be the dual processors.

• 2. Administrators

Should be compatible Dep. In a previous life I ran things like win 2k and xp on those kinds of boxes, you just need to watch out for problems with SCSI and RAID cards as you might not be able to get the drivers for 'em.

~S~ Jabo

Jabo: You could very well be right about VISTA. I have both VISTA Ultimate 64 bit and Win XP Pro 64 bit so I can use either one. From what I hear VISTA is a RAM hog, so most likely I'll go with XP Pro. I'm not real happy about Microsoft soon to be dropping support for XP products, though.

• 2. Administrators

Jabo: You could very well be right about VISTA. I have both VISTA Ultimate 64 bit and Win XP Pro 64 bit so I can use either one. From what I hear VISTA is a RAM hog, so most likely I'll go with XP Pro. I'm not real happy about Microsoft soon to be dropping support for XP products, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...I was mistaken in one of my posts about about lack of 64 bit drivers. That is no longer the case. I had to order an adapter for the video card on the Xeon comp, as it's got the newer DVI connection (nVidia Quadro 290 NVS video card) and I still use a VGA connection monitor. Should arrive this week some time.