CH Pro pedals and a new gizmo in my future

Deputy

On the Ubi forum I asked if they thought rudder pedals were a good idea. The replies were almost all YES! So I guess next pension check I'll be buying some CH Pro pedals. I had them way back when I was flying Janes Fighters Anthology to crank a banked turn even tighter. But back then I had tons of thrust and not a lot of worries about spin and stall. There aren't many planes in IL-2 that fit that description

Yeah that is. Does it consist of two panels of different design? I was just wondering since there appear to be two different style up there. I am about to install my new USB CH pedals and stick in my new computer quaz built for me, and maybe someday I could swing that.

Nope. It's the same panel in all three pictures. The buttons can be located anywhere on the face of the panel. Anything that has color is the button map under the panel. So it you see red or white or green or blue on the image, that's the underlay that you put under the clear part of the panel. The buttons can be positioned anywhere you want in any pattern or grouping. There are 25 buttons all together. The prices I've seen on it are between $170-$200. Not cheap by any stretch.

Snacko: I'm not sure I understand how the Touch Buddy thing works. So I have a few concerns... :)

#1 Do I need a second monitor to make it work?

#2 I use LCD monitors on both my computers. My wife has fits if my fingers get even close to the screen. From what I understand, touching or pressing on the LCD screen isn't a good idea. Even if it's light touches. And in the middle of a battle, my touches on my keyboard are far from just tapping. So if

221_ba84e04c115feb17ecbeac9502b6f1a9

Not for me. HOTAS is nice for jet sims like Jane's FA. But I don't think it's necessary for a WW2 sim. I used to have a CH Pro Throttle. But most of the time I never used most of the buttons and controls on it. I don't much like doing all that fiddling around when I'm flying. And in a WW2 sim especially it shouldn't need all those deluxe controls. Certainly the WW2 pilots didn't have them. I've seen a lot of pros and cons on Track IR. Personally, I don't want to turn a WW2 flight sim into a Star Wars imitation. Plus I wear bifocals and I don't think those viewers would be practical. I never needed them when I flew other sims. There's a limit to how much cash I am going to spend, and how much "immersion" I am willing to commit to to have a good time flight simming. And Track IR and HOTAS aren't on the "must have" list. I list them more as luxuries than necessities. Just my personal preference

I guess its just how each guy looks at it Dep. I reckon WWII pilots had lots of flight critical stuff to fiddle with, even in combat. Check out some of Bud Andersons accounts.

Not flown any other sims, but I'd imagine with modern jets you'd get most of your info looking forward at the HUD. In IL2, 'lose sight, lose the fight' is where TiR comes in handy.

Fiddling with the keyboard for prop pitch, rads, mixture, trim etc. would drive me nuts now. :)

I guess its just how each guy looks at it Dep. I reckon WWII pilots had lots of flight critical stuff to fiddle with, even in combat. Check out some of Bud Andersons accounts.

Not flown any other sims, but I'd imagine with modern jets you'd get most of your info looking forward at the HUD. In IL2, 'lose sight, lose the fight' is where TiR comes in handy.

Fiddling with the keyboard for prop pitch, rads, mixture, trim etc. would drive me nuts now. :)

Well it's certainly possible I've been spoiled by flying sims like Jane's Fighters Anthology. As Stinger says, much less to do as far as mixture, prop pitch, etc. Modern jets have taken a lot of the tweaking out of flying, and now it's more radar and bomb computers that you are messing with. Quite honestly, in IL-2 I am more interested in the actual air combat, than perfect 3-point landings and adjusting proper fuel mixtures on the engine. That's what I posted at Ubisoft and RG suggested I join his outfit. So I assumed the priority here would be actual air combat. I wasn't aware that all this hi-tech hardware would be mandatory to be a decent pilot. Perhaps I have made a mistake. I may not fit in here at all.

Thanks Snack. I was getting pretty worried for a while. From the looks of that video, the TrackIR does the same thing my hat switch does on my joystick. So no real advantage there. HOTAS was never a big plus for me. Most of what I need for actual combat is on the joystick. The MFP would be nice, but it's more of a convenience than a necessity. I guess I am just "old school" and not used to these newfangled gizmos.

Deputy, there is no rush to get all that junk. All you really need is a $25 joystick and an interest in the game. Plenty of Top Guns on hyperlobby use just that.

After flying IL2 for over 3 years, I accumulated the extra goodies over time, and as my interest grew. Most guys would have a similar story.

Padlock should be enabled in all DDz sessions. If its not, ask the host to switch it on. The only exception would be inter squad matches.

Just enjoy zooming around for a while.

~S~ Dep.

did not have chance to talk with u till now. I wish u welcome to our small society and i wish u to have fun here as much as we do.

now to the theme of this thread.

it seams to me that u r more arcade player then sim player. there is no padlock, or external views here. we try to keep things as real as possible with some small adjustments, to compensate for things like not being able to move inside of the cockpit to see better, not feeling the forces that would help u feel where the plane goes, not seeing as good as in RL and stuff.

TrackIR or Freetrack (free version of trackIR) is nothing like your HAT switch and in the missions that we fly is very important that u constantly look around, know where u r on the map without using map icons and always knowing where your m8-s and your enemies are. that's what situational awareness is.

no one said that u need to have all those things (i do not have them; basic joystick and freetrack is only thing i have). if u feel comfortable without them, knock your self out.

But the flayers here (at least big majority of them) r flying this sim cause of its complexity and for giving them a chance to feel real as possible. that's fun here. fur balls r fun but setting up prop pitch, mixture, flying in formation, taking off, landing, ... are also fun.

i can see u r fun guy and that u r sharp tongued like i am ( i do not know if that sounds right but is how we say it here in Croatia when u'l say what's on your mind no matter what) and i like that. so stay here and join our DF nights and if u want skip the complicated nights.

basically do what ever u want to do and pls do not judge our way of flying.

As i said it before we r sim flyers, not a arcade flyers.

gec