Advice please on setting up a home network

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Hi chaps,

I need some pointers on setting up a home network in order to move some files across from my old pc to a "new" one (well, its one that came with me when i left work but has the potential for greater expansion than the dell i currently use.)

I now have 2 pcs both running xp pro sp2.

I have a netgear router DG834G

obviously both machines have nic cards and can both connect to the net through the router.

i have tried running the network wizard but am obviously doing something wrong.

Any pointers / hand holding would be very welcome.

Salute

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

ok, i now have a more serious problem.

after trying to run the network setup wizard again, i now have the problem that my original pc boots up ok, i can log into my account ok, i can click on desktop icons ok but if i move the mouse to the start button, i get the egg timer.

when i try and shut down explorer.exe says it is not responding.

i can run normal in safe mode with networking enabled (as i am now to post this)

if i leave the new pc plugged into the router i get a black screen after logging in to my account. with the new pc not plugged in it loads up ok (still with the egg timer when hovering over the task bar)

i have disabled file and printer sharing in the properties section of the lan connection to see if that helped but it didnt.

can i copy explorer.exe from my other pc if this version is corrupted?

any other advice?

first of network setup wiz is hardly capable of doing so much damage to the pc. u should 4 error elsewhere.

when u fix this her's a small tut on how to make a network:

since u have a router i would believe that it is configured to deliver adresses to the nics on the PC-s. so basicly before u have done a net wiz everithing was probably working fine all ready. since this is not a case do this. go to control panel, swithc to classic view (if u didn't all ready do that, go to network connections. right click on local area connection -> properties, highlight Internet protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties. Obtain an IP address and DNS servers automatically should be selected. click OK, click OK, close network connections.

come to TS NOW and i'll help U

gec

• 1. DDz Quorum

Ok issue solved.

After checking the event log (thanks to the pointer chaps on ts) it said that the "Server service had hung".

did a bit of googling and it turns out that the problem was being caused by my Lexmark print spooler needing to have a dependancy on the service.

so as a test i stoped the server service and disabled it and the machine booted up just like it had always done.

i have a registry fix that will create the dependancy for when (and if) i try setting up the network again.

many thanks once again for the input chaps.

Salute

Friar