ID this

Dubbo

Correct mostly Rattler. Douglas B-18 Bolo ..... unless you're thinking of the the Martin B-10 in which case you'd be wrong. The Bolo replaced the B-10 and was based on the DC-2 transport.

b18.jpg

It was the B-18 I was thinking about, competitor to the B-17. One of the ugliest pieces of crap I've ever laid eyes on IMHO. Definitely a candidate for "if it looks right, it is right"; in this case, it is NOT right!

Most of the aircraft there - and there are a lot - will never fly again. As artifacts they will be preserved that way. I am torn between seeing them flying and seeing them preserved. That Blackbird-type aircraft behind the Piper is actually the YF-12A from which was developed the SR-71. Quite a different aircraft up-close with different wings and a retractable ventral stabiliser.

If they fly they crash, eventually.

I am quite happy to see them preserved. Their primary enemy in such a setting is a fire. Hamilton almost lost their Lancaster in a fire. Museums in Florida have the additional peril of a Hurricane etc etc.

Florida has a Hurricane? What mark? We need a road trip to see it! :joker: