Have I found a system speed tweak?

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Some of you may have seen my post about losing the "My Computer" icon from the desktop.

Well, I had ssome replies on how to put it back

Right click on a piece of desktop, then left click properties. select desktop and then customoze desktop. once there you tick to select/de-select the icons to appear.

Well i always remember Roger (b16enk for the new chaps) saying that icons on the desktop use memory and i have always been aware of this, hence i only have 4 my documents, recycle bin, a shortcut folder and a shortcut to my il2 folder.

now having found how to add and remove the core icons, i decided to remove the "my documents" icon, and, i actually think it has made my macine a little faster!

is it me?, have a go a see what you think............

p.s i can still get to the "my documents" from the start button.

• 2. Administrators

~S~ Colin,

I'm with you on this one, I always understood that files (as opposed to shortcuts) stored on the desktop was a significant problem in terms of memory usage particularly on startup, so moving files stored on there to another folder is always a good plan. Not 100% certain about 'My Docs' as it's a system icon rather than one placed there by an installation, but if it works for you I guess it's all good. I'm going to remove it from my machine and benchmark the whole thing again to see - Given my current rate of success with these PC thingies (technical term), I'll probably break the machine again and I'll see you all in a month... ;D

Jabo

~S~ Colin,

I'm with you on this one, I always understood that files (as opposed to shortcuts) stored on the desktop was a significant problem in terms of memory usage particularly on startup, so moving files stored on there to another folder is always a good plan. Not 100% certain about 'My Docs' as it's a system icon rather than one placed there by an installation, but if it works for you I guess it's all good. I'm going to remove it from my machine and benchmark the whole thing again to see - Given my current rate of success with these PC thingies (technical term), I'll probably break the machine again and I'll see you all in a month... ;D

Jabo

Hmmm, this is interesting, because I have let my icons grow like fungus on my desktop, and my system does seem remarkedly slower, especially on start-up or log-in.

• 2. Administrators

~S~ DT

Just to clarify a point m8, I was referring to 'files' placed on the desktop rather than 'shortcuts', which are rarely reported as more than a Kb or so, and therefore shouldn't place too much load on the system.

Jabo