is this the power cable I need for Radeon 9700pro, and.....

Enforcer57

one of my squad mates sent me a very nice Radeon 9700 pro graphics card. I ordered the install cd, but it needs a power cord. I found one on the ati site that says its the power extension cable for the 9600-9800 series. it also has a 4 prong attachment piont it appears, but i dont see any point like that on the card. I seek enlightenment as to the location of where the power cord attaches, both to the card and in the computer itself. I know, duh, but my expertise is limited to stuff that you can shoot, fly, or take pictures with. :?

BTW, i dnloaded the manual to this, but it doesnt seem to have much mention of the power cord set up. Didnt wanchta to think i was totally noob. :roll:

these things are 18 bucks including shipping, so i dont wanna screw up. thanx.... B)

DSC00381.JPG

I think you just need a molex (see cord with red, yellow and 2 black wires above).

If you look at you power supply unit (PSU) you'll see they're connected to your CD/DVD drives and your hard-drive. If you there's one that is not currently being used you can just connect it (with the machine off- of course :wink: )

• 1. DDz Quorum

The power cable will be identical to the one that feeds power to your DVD/CD drive (and possibly your hard drive if it isn't SATA).

You should be able to pick up, if you do not have an existing lead long enough in your case already, an extender (this is what ATI provide). This has a plug on one end and a socket on the other.

The installation CD....just go to the ATI site and download the driver package, that is all you need and it will be more up to date than a CD ;)

The socket on the card is a molex, usually white. It should be towards the rear of the card (away from where you attach your monitor lead).