Bombing from 30,000ft blind

Friar

• 1. DDz Quorum

Had a good session on Friday night with Fruitbat. We practiced me hovering by the targets and relayed the co-ordinates to him. He then hit the target from 30,000 blind through clouds which was a lot of fun.

If you want to try it it is a lot of fun.

We are going to put a video together showing the process. It took us a while to work out the translation between what I could get from the Apache to what he needed in the F15, once we had that sorted, no tank was safe!

• Like 1

• 2. Administrators

Yeah, was good fun, thanks for helping me work out the details.

Involved Colin using the Apaches sights to find and lase and store a target, which gave him in the cockpit the coordinates of that target. We then needed to work out what format the coordinates were in, and what the F-15 takes, which as it happened are the same, although confusingly the Apache throws out one less decimal place, making the coordinates look like they were a different format, which confused us for a while!🙈

Once i had the coordinates read out to me on comms, i created a target waypoint in the F-15, and then used the info in the HUD to steer to  and drop my LGB on the cues, and Colin lasered it in for the last 10 seconds of flight time, and Kaboom!!!!!

I was up at 30,000 feet, above the clouds and never laid eyes on the target at all, cool stuff.

• Like 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

I had a look at the GBUs on the mirage....same system. I can acquire the target visually and lock it in or lock in the coordinates like you did but I need to look at how to do that as I haven't touched the nav system yet. This could be much fun....

• 2. Administrators

The Apache uses lat long decimal format,  which happily so does the F-16 and F-15. The F-18 would require to convert to lat long standard. Have no idea what format the mirage uses?