Stalingrad Campaign - Concept Map available on server

• 1. DDz Quorum

Salute

Some you may have noticed a new Stalingrad map on the server. I have today just updated it to demonstrate the concepts I am hoping to use in the next campaign event.

The new features are as follows;

• I have done away with the "flag". I think this may have been a contributor to the multi-player overload messages and replaced it with just the monument we used in the Arras Campaign. All you have to do to capture a town is to drive up to the monument.
  • Capture points will be indicated by a YELLOW marker when neutral. If captured by Russians it will turn RED, if captured by Germans will turn BLUE.
  • Capture points are indicated by a circle, a square or a triangle. The circle will indicate 100% of units available once captured. the square 50% and the triangle 25%.
  • Once a town has been captured the spawn point will be 2km in the rear. This means that each side will have its own spawn points and not a single one for both sides as before.
  • Should a side loose a captured town, they will retain their spawn point for a limited time (in testing 20 minutes but may go to 30). This will give them an opportunity to re-attack. The defending side may choose to continue their advance and attack the spawn point.
  • There will be a number of airfields that can be captured and used by either side. Ground forces can capture an airfield. Once captured the airfield will only become fully operational once a plane has landed and unloaded cargo within a zone 100m in front of a couple of hangers. Should opposition ground forces capture the airfield, the airplane spawn point will be disabled until they can land a cargo plane. There is no tank spawn available at the airfield.
  • If you want to have a look for yourself there are a couple of towns and airfields with test tank spawns nearby to save time travelling.

I am planning to add a small number AAA units to the airfield and also some Anti-tank units to the spawn points.

Please let me know what you think of these features.

• Like 2

• 1. DDz Quorum

It worked fine Friar :) 

The drive from one of the newly activated 2km spawn points was pretty much as we thought, 3 mins. Also, these 2km spawn points are far enough away to not be seen from a town because of the landscape.

One issue. I captured a town and Crash spawned in at the original test spawn close by to come and recapture it. I was on the edge of the town looking for him, test spawn point in full view. I could hear him but his tank was invisible until he was almost next to me - that will need to be tested again I think.

• 1. DDz Quorum
14 hours ago, Ben griffiths said:

it sounds good to me just a quick question just to clarify on the capturing of the airfields is it possible to just airdrop supply's to make a airfield fully operational or is it strictly just on landing?

I think Friar will confirm this Ben but a para drop capture is very CPU intensive as the airfield area has to be monitored continuously by the game as it waits for what could be paras landing there. A single point capture requires a much smaller trigger.

On that point Friar, could the airfield capture point be moved away from the exposed position it is currently in and placed eg. next to the control tower or what could be seen as a command tent/hangar? I am thinking that a tank is an easy target currently as it makes it's way across the field, a bit of cover would help.

• Like 1

• 1. DDz Quorum
7 hours ago, Sid said:

I could hear him but his tank was invisible until he was almost next to me - that will need to be tested again I think.

That sounds really weird, and defiantly needs checking? Hopefully Mr Walker or Mr Daniels were not playing with you?

@Sid - I will look to move the monument to a more discrete position.

@Ben griffiths - As Sid described. In order to check things like cargo unloads and para drops I need to use a device called a "Complex Trigger". They are heavier on cpu cycles so should be used with caution. For the landing and unloading I can turn them on and off based on the airfield being captured. For a para drop they would need to be on all the time.