letter from Kandahar

JensenPark

this was forwarded to me by an older friend who was a lifer in the Cdn army...making its round on the net it seems...

The Real Story - A letter from Kandahar

This letter was forwarded by Mansfield residents Ruth and Gary Brown. It was written by their son Steve, who is a member of the Canadian forces fighting in Afghanistan.

To All:

I apologize for the generic letter, but these days I don't have a lot of time to sit at a computer drafting specific words of thanks to all the people who have offered me overwhelming support.

• 1. DDz Quorum

I was with 1st Bn, 1st Marines in Viet-Nam back in '68, we had three Navy Corpsman (medics) in our

Regiment that were from Canada. There may have been more, these I know personally.

• 2 months later...

I talked to my brother (still in the Army reserves in Edmonton, in my old unit), and I found out that one of our buddies, a MCpl R. McCue, was standing next to a female artillery Captain when she was killed in action near Kandahar. He's now completely messed up. Her death was not a usual one - don't ask for details (seriously - freaked me out when my brother told me.)

• 1. DDz Quorum

I talked to my brother (still in the Army reserves in Edmonton, in my old unit), and I found out that one of our buddies, a MCpl R. McCue, was standing next to a female artillery Captain when she was killed in action near Kandahar. He's now completely messed up. Her death was not a usual one - don't ask for details (seriously - freaked me out when my brother told me.)

And that, my friend, is what this site is about:

Honour Our Veterans

One way for them to tell us their stories and for us to tell them we support them.

I agree, Rog. Unfortunately, in a case like Rob's he doesn't want to talk and requires quite a bit of psych. counselling. I think that it'll take a lot of the Afghan vets a long time to talk about their experiences.

My brother's supposed to go in the new Leopard 2's next year - his tasking this year was nixed by Ottawa....bloody Reg. Force vs. Reserves games....

~S~ and Amen,

I have never been in any branch of the armed forces in the U.S.A. I can never truly appreciate what real men of Honor like Captain Steven Brown have to endure on a moment by moment basis. I do know that I am grateful to be sitting here in the comfort of my humble home playing video games because there are men and women who are protecting my liberty to do what ever it is I feel like doing at any given moment.

Wow! I almost feel some sense of shame because I don't really understand what is going on in places like Afghanastan, Iraq, South Korea, and the list goes on.

Reading that letter was like getting hit up side my head with a two by four reality check. I thank you Kelly for providing this letter to this forum. I hope all those who have read it will consider the things we ALL take for granted within the security of our communities and countries. It makes me think about what is really valuable to me. Is it my stuff, or is it the relationships that I have been blessed with. Stuff can be replaced, relationships are sometimes fragile and fleeting. They take dedication and work. Some times I have to get humbled and swallow my pride and admit that I was wrong. I wish I was made of the stuff that Captain Steven Brown was made of. I thank God there are people who are willing to do their duty and I pray that they come home to those they love soon.

I thank you Pooka for your service in Vietnam. That was not a very popular war as the war in Iraq and Afghanastan