Flying Legends 2021

BluBear

22 minutes ago, Crash said:

Where is that?

Northamptonshire Dave, an hour to the West of Duxford and closer to you!

http://www.sywellaerodrome.co.uk/

https://goo.gl/maps/b2wzdrcRHWaasvDZ7

It's also home of the Grace Spitfire / Ultimate Warbirds / Air Leasing and a number of other operators.

Could get busy round those lanes though from what I've heard, they'll probably have to limit the numbers considerably compared to DX.

image.png

• Thanks 2

• 2. Administrators

Premier Inn, Corby - 14 miles away but £64 per night - https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/northamptonshire/corby/corby.html?ARRdd=09&ARRmm=07&ARRyyyy=2021&NIGHTS=2&ROOMS=1&ADULT1=2&CHILD1=0&COT1=0&INTTYP1=TWIN&BRAND=PI

***EDIT*** Provisionally booked a twin room, pay on arrival, free cancellation up to 1pm on the day of arrival

• Thanks 1

• Jabo changed the title to Flying Legends 2021http://dangerdogz.com/forums/topic/13809-flying-legends-2021/
  • Jabo changed the title to Flying Legends 2021
19 hours ago, Jabo said:

Premier Inn, Corby - 14 miles away but £64 per night - https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/northamptonshire/corby/corby.html?ARRdd=09&ARRmm=07&ARRyyyy=2021&NIGHTS=2&ROOMS=1&ADULT1=2&CHILD1=0&COT1=0&INTTYP1=TWIN&BRAND=PI

***EDIT*** Provisionally booked a twin room, pay on arrival, free cancellation up to 1pm on the day of arrival

Corby is an absolute shithole, thats why its cheap. I used to work in Northampton. But I suppose it would be ok for a couple of nights.
I'd be up for going to an airshow, depending on all this Covid rubbish not interfering.

• Thanks 1

• 2. Administrators

Not always Tony,  we've had DB powered 109's there in previous years (although they're officially re-engined buchons) but there is an original Emil hidden away at Biggin Hill and there's another in the UK as well but I can't remember the details.

To my knowledge there are currently only three genuine Bf-109s with DB engines, maintained to an airworthy state. Two are Emils, one with the FHCAM museum in Seattle (which is temporarily closed) and the other with the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar which has yet to make it outside the airfield's airspace in the 4/5 years it's been over here.  Also In the USA The MAM in Virginia Beach operate a G-4 that was restored by Meier Motors in Germany a couple of years ago, I believe the number of original parts may be minimal and it flies with a later G-model lower cowling, but is still classed as an original 109.

There is also a genuine Spanish Civil War 109E-1 under restoration in Germany for a UK customer that will certainly be something to see when finished.

As Arthur and Nick confirm, there are a number of Buchons converted to Gustav models that are airworthy or undergoing maintenance/restoration.

In Germany:
The Hangar10 collection on the island of Usedom operate a G-6, a merlin powered two seat G-12 (that has flown with a DB) and a G-14.
The EADS Messerschmitt Flugmuseum operate a G-4 (Red 7 that visited Duxford in 2015) and a G-10, both of which are undergoing maintenance. Their G-6 was also recently fully overhauled.

Hope that helps.

• 1. DDz Quorum

Morning chaps

Taking into account lots of things Painless and me will be staying at the Red Lion Rothwell on the Friday and Saturday. There is still one twin room left for £130 (£65 per night shared between two) for BOTH nights, breakfast £8 extra. This is a pub called the Red Lion (traditional for us as Dogz) 8 miles from Sywell and is on the outskirts of Kettering. We looked on other booking sites and they were showing no availability but Booking.com is showing one twin room at the moment and there are still a few family rooms available for not much more....!!!

Edit: There are 2 Indian and 1 Thai restaurants in the same street as the Red Lion

• Thanks 2

Good find there chaps!
I've just booked the last twin room at that price. Twin rooms are still available but now listed at £150 for two nights.

I'll keep the reservation at Corby for the time being as an insurance policy.

• 2. Administrators

Same here Chris, just picked up a family room there at £150 - Corby reservation still held if anyone needs a room later.

Indian or Thai on the Friday evening? Decisions, decisions.

• Like 2

• 2. Administrators

I think it's going to be a case of it is what it is. We've been spoilt by Duxford's accessibility for, well, ever! Most GA type airfields don't have that level of access. I propose a recce sometime in the new year - anyone up for that?

• 2. Administrators
2 minutes ago, Crash said:

We will have to make an early start

Possibly Dave, but it'll be ticket only - as long as you're there before the flying starts, does it matter too much?